Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steps in converting a NT4 server to a workstaion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbundy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
US
I want to convert a server(w/NT4.0)into a workstation. I would like install WinXP Pro on it. Is this possible? and if so how can I do this without Formatting the hard drive. There's some programs hard to replace and data files that needs to saved. This is my first big project. Any ideas where i should start? Thanks in advance!

1. If machine spec is up to the job, no reason why you can't install XP (run the option from the XP install Cd which will check out machine suitability report on any issues).

2. There's not an upgrade path from NT server to XP professional and clean install is better anyway. So, back up your data, clean install XP and reinstall software (I'm assuming you have install files for software....)

You cannot upgrade a server operating system (ie NT4 SERVER)with a work station operating system (ie 2K or XP Pro). Server to Server only! Spend the time to identify the files that needs saving. Make sure that applications installed on NT4 will run on newer version. A clean install is the way to go.
Are you running NT4 workstation but using it to perform basic server functions? If so, you can upgrade as long as you meet hardware requirements. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back