Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stepped forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahc142a

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
GB
I'm having real problems trying to pull data from a table and output it to the browser in the correct order. I mean getting comments to remember who they are a reply to, so that they appear below their parent comments. I've probably got the table set up wrong, ar need another table. Even worse because i want to allow an indefinite number of replies, the real hard part is the recursive algorithm needed to pull out the data from the table and order it correctly.

If anyone has done anything similar, please help.

Thanx in advance

hello,
one of the examples that come with coldfusion "Global Corp. Intranet" does what you are looking for.
I can zip it and send it to you if you are interested.

I downloaded a VERY simply CF forum from - its extremely basic, but it is open source so you can modify it to your hearts content.

The posts only show on the index page as the first starting message of a topic, but it shows all subsequent messages when you open that topic and allows you to post replies.

A very simplified version of this forum in a manner.

The biggest immediate detractor I found was that I did have to write my admin page, but that took all of 5 minutes. Maybe that script will do what your looking for, or you can modify it!

Mimi2, if the forum that you are talking about is stepped, i.e has the following appearence:

Comment1
reply to Comment1
reply to (reply to Comment1)
reply to(reply to(reply to Comment1))
another reply to Comment1
Comment2
reply to Comment2

Basically, i need for this step procedure to go on indefintely. If what you are suggesting will do this then please could you confirm this please.

Thanx in advance

sorry, it does not. it is just like this present forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back