Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step sheet for setting up TS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbosko

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
Is there a step-sheet available for setting up and configuring terminal services on a Win2k3 machine, for remote access? I've been somehow deemed this task, and want to get it right the first time.

Just curious, and hopeful. Thanks.

TS in essence isnt what it used to be on windows 2000. The remote access part of Windows 2003 is now Remote Desktop and is installed as standard. All you need to do is right click on My Computer.. select REMOTE tab and the bottom option is Allow Users to connect remoely to this computer. Once you have checked that.. all you need to do is run Remote Desktop Connection from an XP client or Terminal services client from 2000 etc.. If you map to \\WIN2K3Servername\system32\drivers\win32\tsclient and run the setup this will install Remote desktop Connection to any XP 2000 WinNT box to run from..

Hope this helps

XP desktops come with the client already installed. from the run command type in mstsc and press enter and you'll be prompted for an IP/host name.

But thats only for administrator access. There are still the terminal server installs in add/remove programs. CAL purchase and installation - the two different types. And a License Server service to install and configure.

In terms of the licensing server, everything I'm reading says that the licensing server needs to be installed on another machine..... I have to buy another server to run the licensing server so I can have 5 remote users attach to our system????? I don't see anything that says that both services can be run on the same PC. Tell me this is not so. please.

You can run the licensing server on the same box as your Terminal Services server. I run 25 users off one of my boxes with the licensing server with no problem.

Basic How To:

Go to CONTROL PANEL -> ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS -> ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS

Scroll down till you see TERMINAL SERVER and TERMINAL SERVER Licensing and check them both.

TS is now installed.

Pretty easy

You will need to go to ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and TERMINAL SERVICES LICENSING and then activate your server as well as add your CAL's but that's pretty self explanatory.

Josh

Thanks Josh... yeh, last night I spent hours reading through the MS help files and website material... I think all that reading of, what seemed, differing material confused the simplicity.

I ended up just jumping in using plain old common sense and got it running. Still waiting for our licenses to arrive however - so hopefully that part of installing the licensing is as easy as this part was...

Has anyone installed Terminal Services on a 2003 server that was already running applications and did you need to reinstall everything? Asking as there is a "warning" that you will need to reinstall the applications.

We have a couple applications running on an application server that work fine if an Admin RDPs in and runs things, so curious if the TS install will cause havoc.

Any comments are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back