Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Step by Step Downgrade instructions for ASA 5505

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambo2k

MIS
Feb 7, 2001
CA
I have an ASA5505 that requires a downgrade to work with one particular system.
I need to go down to version asa825 and PDM version 645

For whatever reason those are what they are saying I require.

Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this to a new out of box device?

Should I go CLI or ASDM?

Either way I am looking for step by step (yup treat me like a newbee) instructions for either CLI or ASDM methods

Thanks in advance!

Things to download:
1) Cisco ASA code asa825
2) Cisco ASDM version 625
3) TFTP server application such as tftpd32
4) Putty or Teraterm

Configuration:
1) Get a laptop or a desktop with a serial port
2) Connect the baby blue rollover cable that came with the ASA to the serial port on your computer and the console port on the ASA
3) If you use tftpd32 then create a folder under C:\ labeled tftp and go into the Settings of tftpd32 and change the directory to be C:\tftp. Do not close tftpd32 as it needs to remain open for the file transfer to succeed
4) Place your downloaded code and ASDM file into the folder that you created in step 3
5) Plug an Ethernet cable from your desktop/laptop into any port on the ASA except port 0 as that is configured as the outside interface. You should receive a DHCP address from the ASA
6) Open a command prompt and do ipconfig and make note of your IP address; this is what you'll need to connect to in order to pull the new code and ASDM version
7) Open Putty or Teraterm and select the Serial port option to connect with
8) Type the following:
Code:
asa> [b]en[/b]
asa>
password: [i]just hit enter at this point[/i]
asa# [b]copy tftp disk0[/b]
address of tftp server: [i]your ip address from step 6 above[/i]
file: [i]go to the C:\tftp folder and type in the exact file name of the ASA code including the .bin extension[/i]
destination file name: [i]hit enter here[/i]
9) If you entered everything correct you should be able to view your tftpd32 transfer window and see the ASA connect and start downloading. You'll also see a large amount of exclamation points flow across the screen
10) Once the file transfer is complete then enter the following:
Code:
asa# [b]config t[/b]
asa(config)# [b]boot system disk0:[u]type the exact name of the ASA code that you used in the tftp process in step 8 above[/u][/b]
asa(config)# [b]wr mem[/b]
asa(config)# [b]reload[/b]
11) Your ASA should now reboot using the new (old) code
12) Once your ASA comes back up you should remove the old version of code:
Code:
asa> [b]en[/b]
asa>
password: [i]hit enter here[/i]
asa# [b]sh disk0[/b]
[i]you should get a listing of all items saved to flash. notice the two vesions of code you have saved; one will be the new (old) code you just uploaded and one will be the stock code that came installed on the unit. make note of the stock code file name[/i]
asa# [b]del disk0:[i]stock_code_file_name.bin[/i][/b]
13) Now, you need to repeat steps 8 & 12 again, but this time specifying the ASDM file name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back