Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STEP-BY-STEP CONF. SEND MAIL AIX5.3 TO MS-EXCHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sraj142

Technical User
Oct 25, 2006
IN
Hi All,
Can anybody help me with the step-by-step configuration of sendmail on AIX5.3. I want to send mails to MS-Exchange and outer domains also.

Thanks in advance,

Regards - Sraj

Hi Khalid,
I am geting the following error...

MAIL From:<root@TESTMAIL.COM> SIZE=5
"530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated"

Any clue ????

Regards - Sraj

Ok, Could you please let me know what exactly have you done so far to get this message? What steps have you done so far?

Regards,
Khalid

I understand from this is that your TESTMAIL is your exchange server right? so the root user might not be defined there!

Can you ping your exhange server name from within your aix machine?

Regards,
Khalid

You must grant permissions on the exchange server for your AIX server IP.

Hi Khalid & MoreFeo,
Thanks to both of you for your time. I have added the entry in the /etc/hosts & both the server can ping each other very fine. Only diff. is the AIX box is in a workgroup while the MS-Exchange is in a domain. I have added a new user in the MS-Exchange called root@testmail.com & also added root with the ip of AIX box in the domain controller of MS-Exchange.
But still the error is there.....I can't even send any mail to outer domain also like yahoo etc....

Regards - Sraj

Are you able to telnet the Exchange server at port 25?

I see from your error message that it's sending mails as root@testmail.com, what is your AIX box hostname?

If you've set a domain/workgroup for your AIX server, you need to add the fully qualified name to your /etc/hosts.

Yea I can telnet the MS-Exchange server. The hostname of AIX server is shivaibm2. The AIX server is within a workgroup & the entries are already there in the /etc/hosts.

Regards - Sraj

The way i do it is that i get the IP address of my exchange (x.x.x.x) and put it in the /etc/hosts

x.x.x.x ExchangeMail.domain

And then when i send an email i just use the normal email addresses that i usually deal with when i'm sending from my outlook in the sendmail command

echo “test” |sendmail –v khalid@ExchangeMail.domain

This should send an email to khalid user inbox!

Regards,
Khalid

Hi Khalid,ust I have tested as you advised, here is the total output... Any CLUE ????

# echo "test" |sendmail -v test.mail@mydomain.com
test.mail@mydomain.com... Connecting to mydomain.com. via esmtp ...
220 DEL-ML-EXCSMBHB.MYDOMAIN.COM Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:54:48 +0530
>>> EHLO shiva.test.com.in
250-DEL-ML-EXCSMBHB.MYDOMAIN.COM Hello [192.168.1.1]
250-SIZE
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-STARTTLS
250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS
250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM
250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250 XEXCH50
>>> MAIL From:<root@shiva.test.com.in> SIZE=5
530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated
/dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter
Closing connection to mydomain.com.
>>> QUIT
#

Regards - Subharaj

Are you sure that "test.mail" user is defined on mydomain.com?

In here the mydomain.com should be the name of your exchange server (not the domain name!) and this name should be defined in the /etc/hosts

try sending to test.mail user from any where outside your aix box and see whether you get the message.

Regards,
Khalid

Exchange can be locked down so it only accepts mail from known mail servers or from a specific domain/IP address.

Have you checked your exchange server security settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back