Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steadying the camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimoblak

Instructor
Oct 23, 2001
US
This does not really apply to Premiere post production but I hope someone here might know...

I just attended an exhibition of student videos and saw a major problem. New technology has allowed us to use cameras that seem to be no bigger than a clenched fist. The problem is that these tiny cameras are too susceptible to wobble and shake. Would anyone have any idea how to help stabilize small video cameras? (Digital image stabilization is an unwanted solution)

The only thing I can think of is to dangle a tripod or monopod from the camera. Is there an economy/low-end version of the Steadicam?

nope. but you can get a small tripod for less than $30 that'll do the trick. the smallest steady cam goes more than $1500

nope. but you can get a small tripod for less than $30 that'll do the trick. the smallest steady cam goes more than $1500. They make tripods as small as your palm these days.

Actually, the Steadicam JR sells for $900 but that is still too pricey for the school budget. I'm starting to think it should not be too difficult to build one. One of the main benefits of the Steadicam is its external LCD screen. The particular camera in need of stabilization already has a pivoting LCD screen. I guess I just need to construct a ballast.

Shouldn't be too hard. I've seen makeshift "steady" cam. check your local hardware store.

The following website

Has a product similar to the steadycam called the smooth cam which sells for only $229. I have used a few of their other products and they are all of good quality.

Perhaps this is the answer to your problem.

I hope this company appreciates all the times I have sent users to their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back