Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

status ip-network-region x 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcard100001

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
On this screen there are some good stats.. my question is on the screen there is a TX column and RX column. Am I to assume that I should add the columns together to get the total bandwidth a call is using? If I see 1 call.. I usually see stats on both... example using a G.729 codec I see 27k on each. Am I to assume I'm actually using 54k? Or is it really 27k for the call? Do you know what I mean?

I'm thinking about going to G711 across the WAN for the sake of better call quality. When using G711 I see 83k..in each column. Should I plan for 166k a call? Or is it really just 83k.

Is it 83k if only 1 person is talking at a time? does it double if both are talking over each other?

Somebody please enlighten me..

Thanks,

Wildcard

The numbers are separate. If you have a symetrical connection, eg. 1.544/1.544 then plan your connectivity accordingly, likewise if you have an asymetrical connection 1.544/384, then take that into consideration. You do not need to combine them.

If you are not using QOS and or traffic shaping, one you get to around 80% utilization, you will notice clipping and jitter on the calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back