Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status 54 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksetia

Technical User
May 7, 2002
SG
Getting Status 54 when backing up a client. The logs received on client are as follows:
<2> bpcd main: setup_sockopts complete
<8> bpcd peer_hostname: gethostbyaddr failed : NO_ADDRESS (0)
<16> bpcd peer_hostname: gethostbyaddr failed to return peer host, herrno = 0
<16> bpcd main: Couldn't get peer hostname

Checked the network connection through bpclntcmd command successfully on both client and server.

Client is a WinNT and server is a Solaris 8.

This can be caused by the client service not being enabled. Also add the NBU server to the hosts file on the client and add the client to the NBU master server host file to see if this helps.

Hi comtec,

We have already checked that the service is already up from the Task Manager of the client. It seems that the client has problems communicating to the server. Since logs were generated on the client side, we assumed the server managed to communicate with the client.

Adding the server and the client in the hosts file has already been done ... but the problem persists.

Regards,
Kevin

Can you do a reverse name lookup on the client from the master server and vice versa. If you can you should try and flush the dns ipconfig /flushdns. Else try adding the master servers ip address ot the hosts file and vice versa.

Use bpclientcmd to troubleshoot communications problems.
o bpclntcmd -ip <ip_address>
This uses the gethostbyaddr() on the client to return the host name and IP address as defined in the node’s DNS, WINS or local hosts file entries. You should see the netbios name and the FQDN returned for the IP.
o bpclntcmd -hn <hostname>
This allows you to specify a host name instead of the IP address. It will return the IP address of the host specified by using DNS, WINS or local hosts file entries. e.g.
bpclntcmd -hn master
host master: master.domain.com at 10.10.10.1 ()
checkhname: aliases:
o bpclntcmd -pn
When run on the client this queries the master server and returns information to the client that made the request. e.g.
bpclntcmd -pn
expecting response from server master
client.domain.com client 10.10.10.2 4380
o bpclntcmd -sv
Returns the NetBackup version number on the master server.
o bpclntcmd -self
Checks it’s own name resolution using DNS, WINS or a local hosts file
o bpclntcmd -server <Server name>
Returns the IP information of a server name as specified and as resolved by this client

Hi PGPhantom,

The steps that you gave us was the first thing we did when we encountered the error. The results showed that all is fine. However, the status 54 keeps on appearing when we attempted to run the backup.

Is there any other thing other, than what has been discussed, that can be done to resolve the problem?

Regards,
Kevin Setia

Did you run the bpclntcmd from both servers? The lookup needs to work both ways. On NT - Are you using DNS, LMHOSTS or HOSTS? Remember - Uppercase/lowercase, even though NT does not care, Veritas does.

Hi PGPhantom,

We have tried on both server and client and both responded successfully. We also used the HOSTS on both machines and have taken care of the upper/lowercase. We actually asked two vendors and both were not much of help.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi All,

I picked this up from the Veritas website:

############ Start of Correspondence ################
Thanks Chris,

I greatly appreciate your response. I can telnet to port 13782 and do get a prompt as well but I initiate the backup from the server, I can see &quot;Connecting to client&quot; then it times out. On one of the other Windows 2000 client, it evens goes and says &quot;Mounting media xxxxxx&quot; then it times out.
It seems like a weird issue, isn't it?

&quot;Chris Manders&quot; &lt;cjmanders@lbl.gov&gt; wrote:

We ahve seen the 54 error on clients that are not properly installed (or just not installed). You can do:

telnet hostinquestion 13782
if the prompt hangs there, it is a good sign.

On the client:
netstat -an|grep 13782
should show a LISTEN port...
I hope this helps somehow...

Chris

&gt;&quot;Kumar Deuja&quot; &lt;kdeuja@winstar.com&gt; wrote:

I am having the same problem while backing up Windows 2000 client with Solaris Server. Hope you had some feedback regarding that..

Thanks much.

&gt;&gt;&quot;Scott Lewis&quot; &lt;slewisNOSPAM@questia.com&gt; wrote:

Use ~/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd on the client to check what kind of connectivity NB is able to establish with the master. Could be WINS/DNS server assignent issue on the client since it was recently rebuilt. Also, Verify the SERVER value in bp.conf on the client.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&quot;Garry Graves&quot; &lt;garry.graves@nottinghamcity.gov.uk&gt; wrote:

I am running NBU Data Center 34_2 on AIX 4.3.3.The problem I am getting is status code 54 when attempting to backup a Windows 2000 client.The messages posted to the bpcd log on the clinet is as follows :
bpcd peer_hostname: gethostbyaddr failed : The requested
name is valid and was found in the (0)
bpcd peer_hostname: gethostbyaddr failed to return peer host, herrno = 0 bpcd main: Couldn't get peer hostname.

The client was previously backed up successfully until the client machine was re-bulit recently.I am assured that nothing fundamental has changed.I re-installed the NBU client software on the client machine successfully.Both master server and client can be pinged OK.Nothing has changed on the master server side in terms of host files etc,Client Service Port and Request Service Port numbers are correct.
Has anybody come across theses sort of error messages before?

############ End of Correspondence ############

ksetia,

Have you found out the solution yet? If yes, could you share with me?

I encounter same problem currently.

Thanks in advance

Hello !

I have found a cause of our problem ended with code 54 !

Look at your AntiVirus software.

Our antivirus
HBEDV Antivir has a option
-E-Mail Wächter beim Systemstart laden-
--( load e-mail guard at Sytemboot )--
if this is aktivated Netbackup can`t backup a client.

I think other antivirus-software does it too !?

I hope this solution can help some of you !

Greets
Holger

P.S.: Sorry about my bad schoolenglish

I have a similar problem, however when I do a bpclntcmd -pn, I only get back the command prompt. bpclntcmd -hn, bpclntcmd -ip and bpclntcmd -server all come back clean. What can I do to solve my problem with bpclntcmd -pn so that I can get a successful backup?

I am not really sure yet the actual problem. I manage to solve by workaround. I change the SQL backup to start earlier (10pm) and the rest of the jobs start at 12am.

So far, it works fine. It might due to too many jobs running are queuing at the same time or might due to some resources issues which Veritas engineer is suspecting. What resources actually, i have no idea.

Netbackup has to talk between the master, media and client via ports. If the number of ports avalible is restricted then you may find in a busy site that you get the odd rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back