Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status 404 - HTML, not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

nybz

Programmer
Mar 18, 2004
US
I am a newbie and just installed Tomcat 5.0.28 on my home Windows XP machine. I am getting the HTTP Status 404 -/webapps/myForm.html error: "the requested resource (/webapps/myForm.html) is not available. The HTML file is in "C:/tomcat/webapps/examples/myForm.html". The URL in the browser window shows " It is a very simple form. What am I missing?

Thanks sedj. It is still not working - still get the same error. The browser path shows 'examples' instead of 'webapps'. Will try other paths tonight if you think it's path related. Could it have something to do with permissions? The form loads fine when selected from Windows Explorer, just can't seem to get Tomcat to see it.

webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes&lib
under classes/com/samples/model&web
myForm.html is the only file under examples
WEB-INF has a web.xml file
All other directories are empty
The error msg is Tomcat generated,
so I know I get that far

and defintely throws a 404 ? Weird ...
I take it you have not modifed the server.xml file or any config file ...
What happens when you copy TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples directory to TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/mywebapp and then access ?
Try clearing your browser cache aswell ...

Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief
--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Sorry for not confirming your assumptions.
Correct - TOMCAT_HOME is C:tomcat, and no files have been modified (server.xml or any configs).
Tried the copy & test - still errs.
Cookies & all temp internet files deleted - to clear cache - to no avail.
It seems that " is taking me to webapps/ROOT, and not honoring my path. I tried putting myForm.html in the balancer directory (because it was created during installation and the others were my own creation) and going to - which not only did NOT hit my form, but took me to the jakarta.apache.org home page.
How would I check/change this ROOT default behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back