Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static IP reverting to DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

taubate

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
US
We've recently cloned 2 HP/Compaq ML370s using restores for C$, D$ and E$ with Backup Exec. The system state was restored using NTBackup. NewSID was used to generate the new SID.

After the machines were built and joined to the domain, HP Smartstart was run to install all the other drivers. Then I noticed that the servers wouldn't hold a static IP...it keeps reverting to DHCP. How come? Thanks!

Wow,

Have you tried going to the dns and wins server and delete all entries of that server? also you can try joining a workgroup and rejoining the domain.

I've seen something like this before.

Look in Event viewer. You will probably see a problem with either TCP/IP or NIc bindings.

I found a technet article that basically said to re-install TCP/IP.

Once I did this, everything seem to work a lot better.

--------------

Else, you could perform an inplace upgrade to Windows 2000. This will redetect the hardware. Once this is done, rerun the HP SSD's.

-hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Jpoandl,

I checked the event viewer and saw nothing suspicious. I also searched the MS KB and found an article about reinstalling TCP/IP but it was for a domain controller, of which the server in question is not.

Are you referring the taking TCP/IP out of the NIC properties and putting it back in?

I would try removing TCPIP from the NIC properties, restart the server then reinstall TCPIP.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I would still remove TCP/IP and reinstall TCPIP...backup the server before and after.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Do I need to take the server out of the domain beforehand?

no, I didn't have to.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP on the terminal servers worked. The lingering side effect is the WAN Miniport (IP) component lost its driver, but I think this is minor. Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back