Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static ip address reverts to automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulreg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
GB
I have a problem with my laptop running XP Pro SP3.
I need to set a static ip address for the wired nic.
I can set the address but when I click on OK it does not hold it. Going back into the ip dialogue, I see that addressing has switched itself back to automatic !

See if this gives you any help:

Otherwise, do you have any other odd happenings on your PC?

Also, are you doing this with an admin-level account, or user-level account? if User-level, you probably need admin-level priviledges to make the changes stick.

Have you scanned for malware just to be sure? Try - search for Malwarebytes Antimalware and SuperAntispyware. Malwarebytes will take care of most threats the quickest if they exist.

Also, you could try a repair on your network connection.... or if it were me, I'd:
1. Go to Device manager (right click My Computer, Properties, Device Manager)
2. Find the network adapter listed, and uninstall it).
3. Reboot the machine, Windows will reinstall the device automatically - you can force this quicker, but this'll be possibly the "fullest" method.
4. Try to change your IP configuration settings, and see if they stick now.

My domain account is added to the local Administrator's group but to make sure I logged on with the local administrator account. - No change.
I tried removing the nic from Device Manager and rebooting but again - No change.
I think I may have found a partial answer.
I noticed my Network Connection is shown as Local Area Connection 3. (The wireless nic is Local Area Connection 2)I seem to have hidden Local Area Connections which I cannot see.
I think the hidden Local Area Connection was configured to use the same static address.
I changed Local Area Connection using etsh int ip set address name = "Local Area Connection" etc
and the static address which I then entered into Local Area Connection 3 seemed to hold OK.
But - after completing the task that I wanted the static address for, I went back into the properties of Local Area Connection 3 to return it to dynamic addressing only to find it was already set that way. Spooky !

I think I may have found a partial answer.
I noticed my Network Connection is shown as Local Area Connection 3. (The wireless nic is Local Area Connection 2)I seem to have hidden Local Area

Sadly, I don't think that will point to your issue. The renaming/renumber can occur like that continually if you ever uninstall/reinstall a network driver in Windows. And actually, you can go in and rename it to whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back