Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static IP Address Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

arfjay

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
CA
My internet provider has advised we need to change the static IP addresses to ones they have provided. This change needs to be done the night of June 27 2002 and I will be out of town 'til June 26 so thought I would ask the question now. Where in NT 4.0 Sp6 do make these changes? Also the 4 static IPs refer to 4 different machines so I assume I have to change it on them as well [they are one other NT and 3 Win 98s].

The primary and secondary DNS will not change.

New Subnet mask and new default gateway.

When this has happened before an IT person has come and done and I have taken over this role but never had to do this.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards

Ron

On your NT4 box(es) right click your Network Nieghbourhood (on the Desktop) then take Properties. Click the Protocols tab, select TCP/IP from the list then click Properites. In there you can change the IP Address and Subnet etc.

After you have changed the IP Address and OKed it, to check the change has taken place. Open a Command Prompt window and type IPCONFIG /ALL to see all your network addresses. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Thank you darranagl .... between 2AM and 8 AM Friday [June 28] some old IPs may work and some new IPs may work. We have a 24 hour business so this 6 hour 'maybe' window isn't good for us. The part of the business that is 24 hour is not on the router for Internet nor can I put it on 'cuz there is no room[I understand a router can be configured so both sets of IPs can be inputted] but is on the NT 4.0 Sp6 server.

The question is can the server be configured like the router so both sets of addresses can be inputted. I'm guessing not because a NIC is not a router but it never hurts to ask.

I'd appreciate any input.

Ron
ronj@jarviscentre.com

I assume that you have either cable or DSL service. The routers they typically provide have four ports. However, each one of those static IP addesses you have can be further broken down/distributed to your users. (The thing you're referring to concerning the server is called multihoming - really not necessary for you to mess with that old stuff.) I use an SMC Barricade router which is plugged-in to my DSL router. The SMC would get one of your static IPs as it's WAN address, same gateway your ISP gave you, and a mask of 255.255.255.0. You'd then use 'private addresses' like 192.168.123.xxx. (There's an RFC on private address.) Technically, you could split ONE of those static IPs into 253 IP addresses. (bandwidth is another story) The SMC (or whatever) comes w/ easy-to-follow instructions.

Thank you darranagl and admindude - it all went off without a hitch and was easier than I thought [which was a nice change] ..... I like the ida of the SMC Router .. Regards

Ron

i need helpppppppp!!!!!!!
ok see i know this guy like we used to be friends not anymore.ok so i know his computer ip right. my ip was like lets say 24.67.89.899 right n his was something now what happend is i checked now my ip is his ip. how come? did he do somthing to my computer, hacked in or something or changed my ip. like we and him are like enemies. i even got banned from a chat i use to go to he used to go there too. now its says my ip is blocked. whats happning. i am getting virus in my emails. what should i do just help me.
specially about the ip stuff.
k thanx reply
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back