Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static DNS Doctoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMW999

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
US
I am upgrading my PIX 515e from 6.2(2) to 6.3(4).

When I do the static dns doctoring stops working. It works fine in 6.2(2) but not after the upgrade.

It also did the same with alias dns doctoring and I have since removed those and replaced them with the static dns option

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks

I just was doing some looking around for you. Apparently there are some known bugs with the alias command in 6.3. The newsgroup posting I read said that the alias command is going away in version 7.0 of the PIX OS so it's best to start using the static and alias commands with the dns option.

Rod

I know about the alias command is being done away with. That is why I started using the 'static dns' in 6.2(2) even though alias dns doctoring works fine in it.

My problem though, is that the static dns does not work when I upgrade to 6.3(4) is there a bug in that version concerning static dns doctoring as well?

From you last sentence do I have to put in a static and alias command to achieve dns doctoring? I'm not sure I understand you last sentence.

The way I understand it is I need to use this type of static command to do what I want.

static (inside,outside) 1.1.1.1 10.130.1.100 dns netmask 255.255.255.255

This would allow my computer to connect to an external ip address '1.1.1.1' using the internal address of '10.130.1.100'

Do I need to something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back