Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startx for AIX 4.1... I cant seem to get it up :) ..... hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckarl

Programmer
May 5, 1999
GB
Visit site
I cant access the startx session from my terminal. tells me my screen display, 123123123:0 then says please wait- starting your session. <br>
But it lies and makes me wait ages ... until i realize it has cut out, and has returnet me to my prompt... ARGH!<br>
<br>
it is an administrative job?? or am i just to brain dead to work it out ?<br>
<br>
Karl.<br>
<br>

Could you check the setting of your DISPLAY variable? You might have just written it wrongly in your post but it should have three dots in it - like this "172.31.30.69:0".<br>
<br>
On Unix and running the Korn or Borne shells you have to set your environment variables and mark then as visible to child processes - export them.<br>
<br>
Using the Korn shell (ksh) you would say<br>
<br>
"export DISPLAY=172.31.30.69:0"<br>
<br>
and you can try that with later versions of the Borne shell (sh) but this will work with the earlier versions<br>
<br>
"DISPLAY=172.31.30.69:0; export DISPLAY"<br>
<br>
Make sure you've executed this command before you try and start X (including the export bit if you need to do it separately)<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
---<br>
Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back