Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup probs, freezing in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker33

Instructor
Dec 15, 2001
US
I have a Compaq Presario desktop with 256 RAM. Just upgraded to XP Home from Me.Works Suite 2002 was already loaded (not Office XP), and I didn't reinstall. Also just installed NIS 2002.

I recently started having problems; I reinstalled XP and the problems continued. They include:

1) on startup, something is hanging. I can't open files or applications for about 3-10 minutes, and the cursor reverts to the timer when I put it on the taskbar across the bottom of the screen.
2) If I press control-alt-delete, the computer freezes.
3) MSN 6 freezes often.
4) Word freezes often and at random times (while using and during startup, while idle and when spellchecking, for example).
5) After rebooting, the desktop display (font, colors, etc.) is often different.

Besides reinstalling the upgrade, I've also defragged and installed updated drivers. Disabling startup items makes no difference; however, disabling service items did seem to allow me to at least use the taskbar without waiting for it to stop hanging.

I'm also planning on either getting rid of messenger or losing MSN and just using MSIE6. Reasonable?

Mainly, though, I need to know if reintalling XP again (or Works Suite, for that matter) would make any difference (I reintalled the upgrade over top, without uninstalling first), or if I need a fix or patch or something relatively simple. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

you might need a reformat....then after reformat use dos to scan disk and then install xp....this is how i handle my cpu problems since its easier to just start with a clean slate rather than try and fix it and then messing up worse
:(

[afro] "blah blah blah blah blah..."-Dennis Quaid

It might be time for "back to basics" as far as your preparing for the upgrade is concerned. You will find some good information here.

A clean install is much better than an upgrade. Do you have an always on internet connection? A long pause at startup happens sometimes when the machine is searching for some type of connection. I have seen reports of NIS 2002 causing problems but that was more to do with Shutdown and Paging File problems.

Here is a good site to check to get rid of any unrequired services that you might have running in the background.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses. I also love that black viper site. First, I'll finish going through the troubleshooting startup problems, then I'm going to try to run through the services menu like he suggests, since disabling the services did make a difference when I tried it. I imagine, though, that I'll end up having to do another upgrade (I only have the upgrade CD, and my compaq was loaded with Me, so I don't have that CD either).

I agree that NIS isn't the cause of this problem (surprisingly, since it so often is) just because they existed before I ever loaded Norton. My desktop appearance inexplicably defaulting might have to do with performing the initial upgrade without turning off the screensaver (duh).

Guess I'll keep plugging away. What fun.

By the way, how do I reformat the harddrive before reinstalling the upgrade? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

boot to dos

type c:/ format or is it format c: i cant remember its been a while
they say yes
it will completly format
then boot to your me cd and install
then upgrade

i usually install dos then run a scan disk...(believe it or not it helps) at least for me it work better and ive found problems with harddrve before

[afro] "blah blah blah blah blah..."-Dennis Quaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back