Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makapuu

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
I recently installed a TDK24/10/40 veloCD ReWriter in my HP Pavilion 6370Z running Windows Millenium Edition (v4.90.3000). I also have a second CD-ROM and Zip 100 ATAPI/IDE internal drive. All of these devices were working properly immediately after installation.

I then attempted to install the TDK Digital MixMaster and Nero 5.5 Multimedia Recording Software. I was unable to install the InCD Packet-Writing Software because I was given a message that said I already had PacketCD installed.

I already had Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum installed (v. 5.0 P/N 1875500UN REV A v5.0) (which I believe had replaced PacketCD with a more recent version). This was an upgrade from my original Cequadrat software. Cequadrat was purchased by Adaptec which spun off Roxio.

(Easy CD Creator worked fine with my previous Ricoh MP7040A CD-RW.)

After I attempted to uninstall Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum I was unable to startup my computer. I got repeated blue screen warning and hangs. I tried repeatedly to fix this problem. I even reinstalled Windows ME.

This also did not work.

After considerable research effort, and some recommendations from Roxio, I was able to uninstall Easy CD Creator (and other related Adaptec and Cequadrat software).

I also completely uninstalled ZoneAlarm and McAfee antivirus software which had been implicated in similar problems, but I was still unable to restart my computer. It would make it part way through the startup sequence then go into a blue screen freeze, generally with the following message:

"An exception 06 has occurred at 0028:000000XX in VxD ---. This was called from 0028:XXXXXXXX in VxD ---. It may be possible to continue normally.

*Press any key to attempt to continue.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer.
You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

Press any key to continue"

Where X is a varying character.

This was followed by:

"Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted."

After some troubleshooting, I was able to isolate the problem. In Safe Mode I ran msconfig to get the System Configuration Utility. After many troubleshooting steps, I selected Advanced and then selected Force Compatibility Mode Disk Access.

I was then able to startup in the regular mode. My CDROM was still not recognized.

Under System Properties/Device Manager/Standard Floppy Disk Controller and Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo), I go the following message:

This device is either not present or not working properly, or does not have all of the drivers installed (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device (I did, but the existing driver was the most up-to-date).

In the Resources tab, no conflicts were present.

The appropriate drivers were present for both devices (hsflpo.pdr and vmm32.vxd for the Standard Floppy Disk Controller and esdi_506.pdr and vmm32.vxd for the Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo) (the devices on the Secondary IDE Controller were removed, as was the Secondary IDE Controller).

Under System Properties/Performance the following messages were present:

Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

(Oddly enough, when I go to Control Panel/System Properties the Connect to dialog box for Dial Up for my old ISP (I have Road Runner Cable Internet Service now)!?)

Based on this information, I went to Microsoft's Article No. Q151911 (MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI IDE Controllers) and Microsoft's Article No. Q130179 (Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks)

According to Microsoft's Article No. Q151911, the stated CAUSE is:

This behavior can occur if the protected-mode driver for the hard disk controller is not properly initialized when you start Windows. When this occurs, a NOIDE value is placed in the registry which prevents Windows from making future attempts to initialize the protected-mode driver.

The RESOLUTION is to:

1. Click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

3. In the right pane, right-click the NOIDE value, and then click Delete .

4. Quit Registry Editor.

I tried this, but there was no NOIDE entry in this path.

MORE INFORMATION

This issue can occur if your computer has an IDE controller that requires serialization between the primary and secondary IDE channels. The protected-mode drivers for these IDE controllers may not be initialized if one of the following situations occurs:

If one IDE channel has a supported hard disk, and the second channel has a CD-ROM or another type of drive that requires Real-mode drivers. Because there must be serialization between the two IDE channels, Windows cannot access the hard disk in Protected mode and use the other device in Real mode. When this occurs, the Protected-mode driver is not initialized and the NOIDE switch is placed in the registry to prevent future errors. Both disk devices can then operate in Real mode.

-or-

If you manually remove the driver for the IDE controller from Device Manager and then reinstall it, or if you disable and then re-enable the protected-mode driver. Some PCI controller drivers are not designed for dynamic enabling and disabling, and can cause the Protected-mode driver to not initialize properly.

The Windows device drivers for the following controllers may cause this behavior:

CMD PCI-0640 PCI-IDE controller
Standard Dual PCI-IDE controller
Opti Dual PCI-IDE controller
Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller (This is present)
Ali M5229 PCI Busmaster IDE Controller

Other PCI IDE controllers that use serialization between the IDE channels may also cause this behavior.

Can anybody provide additional information on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Boot to safe mode, remove all devices that you suspect.
Restart and reinstall needed drivers. If you don't get a choice, open the drivers tab, update drivers, ignore the stupid warning, and install the updated drivers.
Pull your RAM and get it checked, or try again with KNOWN GOOD working RAM. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Did you ever resolve this because I am having the EXACT same issue (different entry path).

Almost exact same BSOD with me after installing a 24-10-40 Cendyne. All worked well until installing the Nero 5.5 software, then BSOD with error pointing to SCSI1HLP.VxD whenever starting Windows Explorer or any other disk browsing. Was able to uninstall Nero and eliminate problem. Installed Easy CD Creator Platinum 5 and DirectCD okay which didn't recognize the CD writer of course; updated to 5.02b then it did. (BTW, that update doesn't recognize TDK 24-10-40 which I have on another computer, although Roxio "thinks" it does. Only DirectCD sees the TDK.) Unfortunately, I again installed Nero and haven't been able to recover. After renaming scsi1hlp.vxd as recommended, error just changes to no specific vxd ("VxD ---").

Try going to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Enum key by using regedit. The IDE Controller is listed in there and you can delete the key and reboot. The IDE controller will be reloaded. Make sure you reset the NOIDE key at the same time before you reboot. That got the Controller up for me at least....

Pretty much the same problem since 2 days, which occured after installing CDcreator 5 and their stuff (ASPI). My amaha CR2200 worked fine before that with Nero 5.5. After installing different software things went :(
In 2k it will not read (let alone burn) any discs and in 98SE it simply is invisible altogether with my 3rd hard drive showing an 'invalid' 2nd IDE channel under device manager.

BIOS & POST is fine. Tried pretty much everything hardware wise, followed the NOIDE lead, but that is nowhere in the registry ...

All experience and tips welcome!

Frank "icerabbit" D.

PS: The worst part of all this is that I was able to solve this kind of problem once a year back or so but don't remember how!

I thought I will replace my Yamaha CRW2200 with TDK veloCD 24/10/40. Removed my Yamaha CDRW and replaced it with the new TDK. But, my CMD 640 UDMA controller won't recognize the TDK CDRW even though it worked fine with Yamaha. I am running Soyo motherboard and can't use the onboard primary and secondary channels. My windows NT drivers for the CMD IDE controller was updated etc but to no avail. I had no such installation problems with yamaha and am thinking of returning this TDK stuff. It got great reviews, but does not work on my system (and I am a person who works on hardware all the time and puts together PC systems from scratch - not a naive user).

Fixed my problem with TDK velocd. It was something that I had overlooked when i was fooling around with 2 CDRW in my PC. Yet to see how the veloCD works my Win98, though it seems fine in NT 4.0 and I am happy with the noticably low noise compared to the Yamaha CRW2200.

Re-installing IDE drivers did not work for me. Here's what did:
boot in normal mode by selecting: Force Compatibility Mode Disk Access in msconfig advanced
Uninstall ecdc 5.0 (may be un-necessary)(Uninstall file was not available so I had to pull it from the install CD. But it couldn't read CDs because of the problem! I used a different machine to save it to floppy- but it wouldn't fit on one. So I used MS back-up to compress it and disk-span it onto 2 disks)(phew!)
Installed new VIA 4 in 1 drivers, which included a few files previously mysteriously missing like viadsk.cat
reboooted
re-instaled ecdc 5.0
so far so good

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back