Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup problem after HD connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuppa

MIS
Mar 31, 2002
DE
Dear all,
my hard drive and my CD Rom were hanging on a Dual Drive 40 cable. I bought a new hard drive and wanted to add it with another cable into the other of two slots.
The power cable (4 contacts) of the old harddrive bifurcated into another, free one.

While the computer was running, I took this cable and attached it to the power jack of the new hard drive. Immediately the monitor read
"Unable to write to drive. Unsaved data may be lost. Press any key to continue."
after which it turned blank blue.

I restarted the machine, but the monitor never went other than blank blue. I disconnected the cable and restarted, but still the screen stayed blank.

What can I do?

I hope this is an easy question for the professionals here.
Thank you, guys.

Best regards,
Georg

sounds like the second drive was also configured as a master, and you've lost your system files.

when you turn the machine on, do you get anything at all, or just a straight blue screen?

also, what system do you have? processor, memory, operating system etc etc

I get just a blue screen.

I have an AMD K6 266 MHZ, 128 MB RAM, Win 95, and the old hard drive is 8 GB.

The AMD was being upgraded to 500 MHZ one time, but I'm not sure it works.

I do not have a boot disk either.

Thanks a lot!

I'd say you've probably done irrepairable damage to the motherboard circuitry and the IDE interfaces at the very least! You should NEVER connect or disconnect low voltage devices whilst the machine is switched on and the motherboard powered up...

Is the PSU is still working, CPU fan turning and front panel l.e.d. lit? Can you hear if the drive(s) spin up when you switch on the machine? Try disconnecting all drives from the motherboard, remove all cards other than video, and clear CMOS/remove battery. Reinsert battery, and start machine with just the video card in place. Any beeps at all? If not, then I'd guess you've blown it man...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back