Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaake

Programmer
Jan 10, 2002
US
What is the purpose of "Microsoft Office" startup icon in the Startup Folder? I have nothing loading, as far as I know, from Office, yet it remains....

Geo.

Well, MicroShaft has alot of quirks concerning its OS;
as for the "StartUp" folder/icon, "'Shaft" states that it
is a Mandator Win folder that's required for Win to function properly.

In My Opinion, this' HOGWASH, there has been unnecessary files, folders etc from since Win3.1 that just cluttered up one's HD that once deleted, freed up valuable space etc so that U could install apps etc.

Also, as for the "StartUp" folder, one reason for it being there is just to give the user the convenience of auto executing apps that you FREQUENTLY use rather than wading through menus starting w/ the "Start" button BUT one could also just creat a ShrtCut(s) to the frequently used app(s).

--MicroShaft for you!!

=TheDisciple

Thanks, however the purpose of the StartUp folder is well known. I'm curious in the MS Office install, why the "Microsoft Office" is in the startup folder???? It doesn't appear to load anything on my system. There semm to be no new processes as a result.

Geo

If you have mso in your WINDOWS Startup folder, just take it out. It does *nothing* worthwhile. I have been removing it out of user startup folders for 4 years. You may even gain 1 or 2% of your resources.

If you're talking about OFFICE Startup folder, that's different. Let me know.

The Office icon in the startup folder, runs a program that causes some of the dlls used by office to be loaded into memory. The allows the office apps (word, excel etc.) to load faster. If you spend most of your time in office applications this will probably help you. If not it is just taking up startup time and and memory and you may as well delete it.

Intersting, thanks. I too have been removing it for many yaers. I just loaded the XP version and was reminded of this curiosity. And I never use that annoying toolbar...

Geo.

Intersting, thanks. I too have been removing it for many years. I just loaded the XP version and was reminded of this curiosity. And I never use that annoying toolbar...

Geo.

That *annoying toolbar* will hold ALL the shortcuts currently on your desktop, also preserving RAM... (just hold the Alt key and drag the shortcut down onto the toolbar and delete it from the desktop).

I have ALL my programs on it--3 versions of Office programs, and a bunch of other stuff.

But I keep it at the bottom of my screen above the taskbar. I hate it when it's positioned at the top.

Thanks, but I'm just an anal minimalist...

Oh. Sorry! Rolling on the Floor Laughing.

:)

Sometimes I post things for *all* to hear, and not just the asker. I guess I didn't mean that YOU should use the Office toolbar. I *had* writting FYI before the information that I gave about it, but it sounded *uppity* or something and didn't want to turn anybody off.

Your comment made me laugh!
LOL

Anyway--glad you got the info you need. I learned too: what the stupid Office Startup does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back