Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startup Disk Corrupted BIOS / Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm not sure if my Subject headline is related to what I'm about to describe.
Just a day ago, I put together my computer with all new parts. 4.5Gig HD, Floppy, 32-CDROM, Xeon PII (Dual 450), MS-6135 Microstar Mobo. Everything booted beautiful and I was so excited that I built it successful. So today, I decided to install an OS, and I could not Install Windows 2000 because it said that it could not run in DOS mode.
So my dad gave me a startup disk/98. I don't know why I need this stupid disk for it had no purpose to what I was trying to do. So, I popped in the Startup Disk/98, and then it did all these commands step by step. So, once it was loaded in 98/DOS mode I tried to install 2000 again (D: SETUP), and then it still said, cannot run in DOS mode.
So, I took out that stupid startup floppy/98 disk, and everytime I freaking boot it says the following,:

Searching from Boot Record floppy...Not Found
Searching from Boot Record IDE-0...OK
Starting Windows 98...

So then after this, it goes to the C: prompt waiting for a command. So this is not so bad. But ever since I put in that stupid ass Startup Disk, the commands above appear. I don't like these commands and want to get rid of it. I tried clearing the CMOS, but that still doesn't take these commands away. So, I'm assuming I need to clear the BIOS.
Is there a way I can complete refresh (default) my Motherboard so it boats the way it came from the factory?

Another thing, I can't install a OS!!! When I go into D:, and then I try to install Windows 98 or Windows 95, it goes through a DOS Scandisk (routine check), but then goes back into DOS mode stating,
Please wait while setup initializes.
Copying files needed for Windows Setup...
D:
You see, it stops at D:, and I've never seen this. Wait is the computer doing? Does anybody know away to get around this. I just want to get my computer the way it was in Factory settings.

Joel
Please HELP!

You could get into CMOS setup and tell it to load defaults, then use the stupid startup disk and use fdisk and delete the partition that it set up.
I've never seen a stupid startup disk. I've seen faulty ones, and flaky ones, and lots of good ones that did exactly what they were supposed to do. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Everytime I try to run setup to install an OS, it goes through the Routine Check (Scandisk) through DOS, but then goes to this screen in DOS mode:

Please wait while Setup initializes
Copying files needed for Windows Setup...

D:
It stops at the D: prompt. What can I do? I can't install an OS, everything else seems to boot fine.

Help!

since you have a command prompt, what you can do to start all over again is to either type "format c:" or you can use a program such as TDCLEAR that will completely write zeroes to the hard disk. Also, if you look at the manual that came with the mobo, or contacting its manufacturer, it shows which jumper to change in order to reset the CMOS to factory defaults. After you've done both of these, when you reboot fresh, go into your bios and make sure that you have your CDROM in the boot sequence. When you restart after making these changes, make sure that the Windows 2000 cd is in the cdrom. If things go as they should, then the monitor should read "to boot form cd, press any key" press a key right away. This should take you to a blue set up screen and you should be okay.

Hope these suggestions help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back