Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Windows Apps From Clipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck902

Technical User
May 6, 2003
US
We recently upgraded to Windows 2000 and my programs will no longer start Word 97 from inside of a Clipper application.

Currently, the line in the program is:

RUN start "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" iltopenb.doc /mILOPEN

Thanks for your assistance

First, I must ask this, it's my profession: Have you checked the application path? (Answer: Yes I assume) s-)

Second, If you write the 'start "... etc.' path to a batchfile with an 8.3 form name like MYRUN.BAT, and use RUN to get that going, does that help?

HTH
TonHu

I checked the path and that is not a problem. I can put the commands in a separate batch file that works fine if started from a commmand line. Non-windows programs start and work from inside a Clipper application running under Windows 2000.

For Windows 2000, you'd be better off using the short file name path for the Word program in your RUN command (if you don't want to use a batch file as suggested by TonHu):

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE\WINWORD.EXE

M$ (intentionally?) wrecked some of the DOS command compatibility between W9X and W2K so that it would drive DOS programmmers crazy trying to use both OS's!

I found a solution to the problem. The following command works fine from my Clipper 5.01 application:

RUN cmd.exe /c "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" iltopenb.doc /mILOPEN

instead of:

RUN start "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" iltopenb.doc /mILOPEN

Hi there
I tried to run
RUN cmd.exe /c "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" iltopenb.doc /mILOPEN

but got a error message Bad command or file name, i have never tried to start windows app from Dos Apps, i didn't even knew that we can.

Please help, it will solve lot of small issues i have.

Thanks

Use "command.exe /c" if you are running under Win 9X.

Use "cmd.exe /c" for Win 2K and (maybe, XP - I haven't tried XP with Clipper yet).

Hi,

I use Blinker 3.2

result = swpruncmd("cmd /c batfile.bat")

batfile.bat has the command "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" iltopenb.doc /mILOPEN" in quotes.

I would think RUN would work quite similar.

HTH,

Charles

Hi I use blinker 7.0 and all cals of windows aplications works OK under XP which was not the case until I use blinker 5.0

I have a related problem. I use Blinker 4.10 with great success for several years under Windows 9x, 2K, and XP. The command I use is

Code:
swpruncmd( "windowsapp commandlineparameters", 0, "", "")

The problem is that 9x used to start the windows application (a Crystal Reports app) and then return control to the clipper applications. However, Windows XP requires the called windows app to terminate before the clipper app will resume.

Any solutions? Also - any FAQs about the dvantage of post 4.10 blinker versions?

You could change that (for NT/W2K/WXP only) to

Code:
swpruncmd( "START windowsapp commandlineparameters", 0, "", "")
(untested!, no clipper available here)

If you really would want to wait for the windowsapp to finish before returing to the Clipper app it would be
Code:
"START /W windowsapp ..."
but that's just what you don't want... s-)

The returning before windowsapp ends appears to be a Win9x 'feature', I don't like or want it myself ;-)

HTH
TonHu

Thanks Much.

The final syntax was swpruncmd(&quot;cmd /c start <windowsapp> <parameters>&quot;, 0, &quot;&quot;, &quot;&quot;)

I have the inverse problem of IntentDriven.
I mean, I dont want clipper to take control immediately after the execution of the swpruncmd, and want it to wait until the windows application ends.

This behavior occurs in WinXp. But i cant achieve it in
Win 9x.

Can anybody help me?

Of course i can implement a &quot;solution&quot; using temporary files or something similar but my answer refers to the behavior of the run command.

Thanks in advance
my e-mail: daisenbe@redesdelsur.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back