Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting using MOD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlanhla

Technical User
Sep 14, 2016
ZW
Good day. i have a hipath 4k that was booting using the hard-drive. however the hard drive has packed my i have the pin setting of making rthe MOD the master.

Regards

Just press the ALT button on the processor before reloading - the MO disk light should light up.
They do go faulty (The Magneto Optical Disks)
The HiPath may load from area J if that was configured.
What version do you know ?
Is it in production or are you just testing ?

I wouldn't recommend changing the MOD to master, if by that you mean changing the SCSI ID to 0. HD is device 1 (SCSI 0), MOD/CF was device 6 (SCSI 5). So if it's a MOD drive you can make it 0 easy enough by changing the SCSI dip switches, on the back of the drive you had dips 1,3,4 high. 1 + 3 set SCSI 5, 4 was something to do with HD emulation I think and was normally high. So setting 1 + 3 low would set SCSI ID 0. But the 4K DB is configured for device types, area sizes, granularity. By changing the MOD from device 6 to 1, the 4K ADP DB will not be correct. Will still work, but won't be right. 4K can run forever from MOD on 6, I would leave it alone. Also, it knows not to try and run the Unixware from MOD - by setting MOD to 0, it'll start looking for Unixware.

On a reload, the 4K will try the HD PDS (area E) first, if that fails it will try MOD PDS (E), if that fails it tries HD GLA (J). GLA is last resort, it will boot but your AMO's don't work properly, it's only there to give you telephony while you work out how to fix the problem. But if it boots from MO, it can run like that for years.

Info above from me and sbcsu is correct for V3.

Thank you very much too bad my system still wont come up unless you can run me thru 7 segment display sequence and its interpretation

If the ADP is reporting an error, you will see three bars, a 0, a 1, then a 4 digit code. Sometimes that 4 digit code helps, sometimes it doesn't, because the explanation for it can be a bit cryptic. Also, if you plug into the service port with a v24 terminal app, if it's DSCXL I think it's 38400 8N1, DPC5 might be 115200, I can't remember, but just lower the baud rate until you don't get garbage, then you can see what the processor is trying to do, example, you will see it try the different boot devices, you will see if it fails to load any subsystems. But seeing what's wrong doesn't mean you can fix it. You need a crossed cable for the V24, or the official Siemens/Unify cable. If your disc is corrupted I doubt you'll be able to uncorrupt it. Here I would put the MO in a SCSI MO drive and try to read it with PCHi, or try the same on a running ADP, again with PCHi, but you won't have the kit or the app I guess.

Good day.

The hard drive and MO Drive and disk where all bust. However i had a spare MO Disk that is starting up ok but giving the error attached below. How do i go about it??
hipath_zptjel.png

You can't administer the 4K is the codeword is broken. 4K needs to know the date to determine if the codeword is valid.

You probably have a codeword configed (make a dis-code; and a reg-code;) but you can see in the green text it doesn't know time/date.

Make a cha-date to correct the time/date, and then a sta-codew; to activate the codeword again.

I am assuming you have a valid SIM card in the ADP processor, dis-codew will show if it's missing.

Changed date im ok now im getting defect on all slmac cards and no dial tones or line voltage on the ready ones.
BCSU_djnh3o.png

THE SLMAC CARDS GO GREEN FOR A WHILE AND BACK TO RED

It looks like you have some incorrect cards fitted in different slots.
WBT - wrong board type.

Go to each card and see if the Part Number is the same as what shows up when you DIS-BCSU;

1)NOTED MY CONCERN ARE TH SLMAC ON SHELF 1 THERE ARE IN THE CORRECT SLOTS BUT ARE SAYING DEFECT
2)THE SLMO CARDS ARE ACTIVE BUT ARE NO GIVING ANY TONES INCLUDING THE SLMA 24 ON 1-2-109 ITS READY BUT HAS NO DIAL TONE OR LINE VOLTAGE

Firstly make sure that the system is 'in codeword'
DIS-CODEW;
again to see if all is OK.
If not then there is no point in proceeding.

I think the codeword will be OK, it's let him make a dis-bcsu.

There is not one working SLMA in that 4K, and the SLMO looks OK but isn't.

This could be power related? You have the old style architecture. PSUP power supply? Is the LED lit? It should be.

I would disconnect all but one shelf, turn the others off. Power up shelf with LTUC inserted only, then try and get one SLMA working. Maybe there is a faulty PSU or something is dragging everything else down. Disconnect everything but one shelf and 2 cards. If that doesn't work, swap the PSU's with the other shelf.

Any DIMEN considerations he should be looking at?

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

Good day.
thank you so much for your assistance to date.
I have been off this system for a while , BCSU is attached above and CODEW will be attached in a bit..
donb01 the DIMEN will also be done in a bit..

THE SYSTEM IS FAILING TO KEEP THE SLMAC CARDS ACTIVE AND THERE IS NO LINE VOLTAGE ON THE ACTIVE CARDS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back