Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

starting up instances

Status
Not open for further replies.

lois

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2001
US
Please advise me on how to make a init.ora file default to the PC ( not using net80 - local connection), which will eliminate the need to specify the pfile= clause. I tried using set oracle_sid=sid, but later, i couldn't start the database using startup at the svrmgr30. Neither does the oracle_sid parameter at the registry in NT reflect the changes.

thanks,
lois

Try setting the oracle_sid and oracle_home in your autoexec.bat file and restart the server.

I may be misunderstanding your question, but it seems to me that you are confusing the init.ora file with the default SID. The init.ora file contains (most likely) dozens of parameters that Oracle will use to start the instance. As such it seems hopeless to replace it with a command like "set oracle_sid=sid", which contains much less information. Any successful database startup procedure will most likely need to contain at least an indirect reference to an init.ora file.

Perhaps it would be more productive to focus on what is going wrong when you try to start your instance. What steps are you doing, and what kind of error messages are you seeing?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that what Lois is talking about is how to startup a DB without a *person* to babysit it and tell the DB which parameters it should start with. I know how to fix this in 8.0.x, but not in 8i yet (new to that scene). I would imagine it's at least similar.

You should be able to stop and start the instance in question and should be working *at* the actual machine.

1) In 8.0.x, open Instance Manager. Tell Oracle which pfile to open with, if neccessary.
2) Click on "Initialization Parameters." In the right frame, you should see all the initialization parameters you specified in the pfile. At the bottom, there is a "Save" button. Click it.
3) A new window will pop up where you will need to name your initialization parameters. I generally follow the sid_mmddyyyy rule, in case you have several sids running on one machine. Make any notes you need, so you can remember why this is the set of initialization parameters you're running instead of another set. Click OK.

NOTE: At this point, you should be certain you can bounce the DB for a few moments. You will be down for less than 30 seconds.

4) In the left frame, open the "Stored Configurations" tree. Click on the name you just saved the initialization parameters as.
5) In the right frame, the initialization parameters are set. Click "Apply."

From this point on, a *person* will no longer need to specify the pfile. The initialization parameters will be loaded from the Stored Configurations you specified.

Hope it helps,

~Jayme T Hunt
DB Analyst/Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back