Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting up a Proliant 3000 Server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaw

Technical User
Apr 14, 2002
US
I have aquired a Compaq Proliant 3000 server with an intell 333mgz processor and I am trying to set it up as a file server on a LAN. It has been wiped and I want to use Win NT 4.0 as the operating system. It has a SMART-2DH array controller. Could some one give me the steps to correctly start this up? I also need to know what updates are out there for this unit. Any halp would be appreciated.Thanks

You need the Compaq SmartStart CD and preferably version 5.3. Any somewhat current version will work with tat server (4.5+) and it will setup the array controller and install the OS for you with all the Compaq drivers. You should then go to Compaq's website and download the System Rompaq and the option Rompaq for array controllers and reboot the server off those floppies to update the ROMs.

Thank you for your quick response. I believe my problem is I am trying to start this server up with Smartstart Release 3.10a. Where can I find the later versions of this software and does anyone have the System Rompaq and option Rompaq numbers.
Thanks

Thanks for the information Now all I need to do know is where i can SmartStart CD and preferably version 5.3. How current is this version and do I need to contact Compaq (I hope not) to get a copy of this software.
Thanks in Advance, Bill

Contact Compaq - or get a friend at a large company that buys alot of servers.

Thanks Guys,
I Have this server up and running Win 2000. Now I have 2 questions.
1. I have come across 4, 9.3G 10,000rpm hard drives for this unit, can I mix and match drive sizes?(it now has 6 4.3 G units installed)

2.Can any one explain or point me in the right direction to learn about drive placement in the drive cage?
This unit came with 6 4.3G drives installed 2 on top and four on the bottom when I tried to move one of the top drives over 1/2(?)slot I got a drive out of position error(this was before I upgraded or configured anything)I have not been able to find any info on this.
Thanks in advance
Macaw

The raid controller has the drive configuration stored on it and so do the drives. You will have to boot up with the smartstart cd to change this. Depending on how the raid is configured and where the boot partition is located will determine whethter or not you need to reload the os if you change anything. Normally I begin with setting up the drives where I want them. boot the smartstart, erase everything, reboot the smartstart and configure what I want.

Works good except the top row left side drive is giving me a yellow light. and I can't see the drive when I set up the array in smart start, if I locate the drive in another slot it works fine. Otherwise everything else works fine. I tried re-seating the drive in the slot to no avail.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance................

Anybody have any idea on the previous post.Thanks

Does another drive work ok in that slot? If not, you are looking at a problem with the slot on the disk backplane. If this is the case, do you have any warranty or support contract you could exercise to get it fixed?

Check that there is no dust or obstructions first though! -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the quick response.
All drives come up green in all other slots.
I will check the slot for dust and corrosion.
This server had been bought new and sat unused,it had never been pluged in untill I got a hold of it about 10 months ago.
I have reseated the drive in that slot numerous times to try to brighten the contacts.
I doubt I have any warrenty coverage unless anyone knows differently, or any repair solutions, or suggestions.
Thanks

Although the Proliant 3000 is a retired server, the following link indicates that the server should be "Protected by a three-year on-site limited warranty and extended Pre-Failure Warranty1 which covers Pentium II processors, memory and disk drives, as well as a wide range of Compaq Services" to quote the website

I would check with your distributor. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back