Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting to boot slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmafree

Programmer
May 10, 2001
GB
Hey,

I clean installed WinXP Pro on my brand new Intel P4 1.8GHz machine with 128MB RAMBUS RAM many months ago - 3 to be precise. The computer logs in automatically as Adminstrator (I've set it up that way). The problem is that my computer used to boot very fast until yesterday. Now it takes it about a minute to boot. It boots into Windows and just stalls for about a minute on the "welcome" screen before logging-in automatically as Administrator - this used to take seconds. I've defragmented & scan-disked my 40GB NTFS hard-disk but still to result. However, once logged-in, the computer is fast as usual. Why is booting taking so long now? I haven't installed anything since a week or even modified the system in any way, at least I think I haven't?
Help!

Thank you,
karmafree.

Hi guy

I'm no expert buy my experience might give you a lead.

When I started having that problem I pickedup Norton Utilities and it cleaned the registry quite a bit and seemd to clear it up for me.

I suspect if you got ophaned registry entries it must scan all directories lookn for a program or dll to load. Get the registry cleaned up and it might help a lot.

later

My2Cents

why not format and reinstall it happened to me
i did it and now ok.

Microsoft have a tool called something like bootwiz or bootwizard. You run it, let it reboot your pc, it checks whats going on, then reboots and gives you a nice report on what's going on during your boot, how long each step took etc.

Very useful for diagnosing boot problems too apparently

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back