Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
This is not your typical question, but I am really determined to get into a computer programming job. Unfortunately, I received my degree in Civil instead of Computer Engineering. I have read a book on c++ and understand the fundamental concepts; what do you all recommend as the next step? Should I take a few related courses or is it absolutely necessary to obtain a computer engineering degree. What is the quickest way for me to get into a job on the ground floor?
thanks, any feedback would be much appreciated!

Zach

Hi,

computer programming is typically the kind of activity that you can learn by yourself. Lot of people in this field are self-taught. Personnally I never had a single lesson on programming at school, and learnt all I know "by doing". These days programming skills are in demand, and there are a lot of opportunities for self-taught people.

A good way (but certainly not the only one) to start to acquire experience in this field is to work a few years in a "service provider" in computer programming. After a couple of year in such a company, you'll have a professional experience and nobody will ever look again at your diploma.

If you want to convince that you are not joking and willing to start out, you need to loudly claim that you are ready to pass evaluation tests, for example in C++.

Of course, you need to be ready to pass such tests. Having read a book about C++ is probably not enough. If you haven't done so yet, buy a computer, install an IDE (integrated development environment) and start to code intensively every idea that you may have (I would recommend Borland C++ or Builder - Borland is known for their nice products, and Microsoft has enough power already). A practical experience will be valuable if you are to pass tests. I think that one year is a minimum for C++.

Hope that helps

Woliwol

you learned c++, it is just the language to communicate with the computer u have to learn more.Try datastructures in
c++ which will give the idea about the real use of c++.Try
to learn vc++ also.You can go to certification site and test u r skill in c++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back