Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Oracle Service from Appliaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
we have software Developed using Oraacle And VB6.0
But every time before using the Application we have to start the Oracle service (which has been created by us)
and make it online we are using Oracle 8.0.0.3 enterprise edition can any one let me know how can i start Oracle service from VB application.

Hi,
Sorry, it is not possible. Any way you have to start the listener of the database first, otherwise VB or any frontend tool can connect it. But you can shutdown the database by telnet.
With best wishes.

We have a batch file on one of our Oracle NT servers that we call through the AT Scheduler command that restarts an Oracle service. I am not sure if it is an NT tool or not, but this is what we have in the batch file:
Code:
netsvc OracleServiceName \\ServerName /start
Do a search on your server and see if it is there... Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Just a note:
Do not confuse starting the service
with starting the database instance

Depending on the server and the number of instances and how it is configured in the registry, the database instance(s) may or may not start when the service does...

The service can,of course, be set to start automatically just like any NT/2K service...

hth,
[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back