Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

starting my own mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

duude

Vendor
Jun 14, 2002
US
can anyone tell me the steps to start my own mail exchange server from home. i have the server and software, all loaded and configured. i can send mail from an account created just find thru my broadband connection. i believe i might have to register my domain or something and after that i haven't a clue.

I have only done this once from scratch at home through a broadband modem connection, but it worked well and seemed to be stable.

1) Register your domain. For my home use, I registered with Register.com, $35 per year, and they host your DNS entries for you, and allow you to manipulate your DNS entries though a web interface. The flip side is to register your name with an entity and have them point at your DNS server on site, more maintenance for you because you need to have a DNS server locally. There are a bunch of registration companies to choose from, and I'm sure you can find the same service for less if you look around.

2) In your DNS, you will need to set up an MX record and put in the IP address of your mail server. Do you have a static IP for your mail server? If so, use that. If not, used the DNS entry that the broadband provider supplies for your gateway connection out to the 'net.

3) If you have a broadband connection and some sort of router, or firewall (highly recommended), you'll have to allow traffic through that device on port 25 to the mail server. And if you are doing NAT through your gateway, you will have to redirect port 25 from your external IP to whatever your internal private IP is.

4) Install the Internet Mail Connector in Exchange, or if it's installed, configure it to listen for mail. After the config, it will run as the "Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service" under Services.

5) Test it. From an external IP address, do a Telnet yourserver.yourdomain.??? 25 and you should get a reply similar to "ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2653.13) ready". It's listening for mail at that point.

Like I said, only did this once, so I may have left something out. Also, any constructive criticisms would be appreciated.

Doug

the MX dns record, are you referring to the zones. if so, would it be a forward lookup?

looking to do the same. Does the mail connector come with Exchange 5.5?

for more info on setting up Exchange look up the info on Simpler Webb and
Sipstick
The MX record is not a zone but is an entry record in the DNS zone that defines the IP of a Mail eXchanger.
If you are on a dynamic IP connection with your broadband ISP you will need to register your domain name (or use one of theirs) with one of the many Dynamic DNS services available (I use DynDNS.org personally) and also use one of the automatic DNS Updaters (Directupdate) which will check your IP and will update the DNS records accordingly. Even if your IP is static if may be worth using the DynDNS service as this means you do not need to get involved with DNS records until you understand the implications of getting it wrong

MX FAQ at DynDNS

Other things to be aware of:
The SMTP connector of Exchange can easily become a open relay for spammers to take advantage of (As can any SMTP Mail system)
You will need an good Anti-Virus program that integrates into Exchange (McAfee Groupshield, Sophos etc).
Exchange 5.5 does not work with POP3 mailboxes for collection it is SMTP only (You can use POP3 for the client connection of course)
Exchange is very heavy on computer resources so if you are running it on a machine that you use for other purposes expect a drop in performance when Exchange is running.

Chris.

it is easier than you think
-Register your domain
-Get Static IP
-ISP maps the MX-Records to your static IP
-Map virtual Domain to IP so you can use it for OWA
-If you use NAT, map a proper ports Ext to Int (25, 110, 80)
-Install and Configure your e-mail server
Done

Thanks for help, you peeps have answered all my questions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back