Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Mitel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinz3nt

Technical User
Feb 11, 2008
NL
Hi,

I've just started working with Mitel 3300 systems.
Unfortunately, my boss left me a little to my own devices since I had the installation training course in May 2007!

O well, now they've sold a 3300 CXi I have to install it.
I read trough my installation manuals and I managed to get some phones (5212 and 5224 sets) working.
Fortunately, during the training course, I exported some default COR/COS sheets for the trunks, phones and users so I was able to import them, as well as a fully functional feature access codes list.
I also imported the users, so I can already make internal calls.

There are some issues however that I'm not quite sure about, maybe someone can help me on the way?

- The system will be hooked up to an ISDN30 (E1) line in a few weeks. What do I need to get it working? I remember I had to do something with digit modification but I'm not exactly sure what anymore. The E1/T1 card is also already installed.

- The subnet of the office LAN is 192.168.7.0 but the Mitel will reside in subnet 192.168.73.0. The phones will be connected to the internal PoE switch. The client asked if it's possible to connect the PC's and phones on 1 UTP cable. It's possible of course but I would like to keep the Mitel and the phones on another subnet. For that I think I need to set up some VLANs, or am I wrong. And if yes, I think it's something the client should setup themselves since it's their network. I know by default the VLAN ID of the Mitel is set to 130. What steps to take here?

I hope someone can help me a little bit. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Wow, sounds like you're in over your head. Good luck, there's some great people here that are good for advice.

On the ISDN30, I won't be able to help you much. I'm in the US, so it's all PRI (24 channels) here. Shouldn't be THAT much different. Start off by going into the help file, there's a step-by-step programming guide in there that tells you what forms you need to program. Take a peek at that, get the info you need from the telco, and c'mon back if you still have questions.

On the network side, yes, you can run a PC and a 5212 or 5224 off the same network port, assuming the network switch can handle it. How to do this will depend completely on the network equipment, but it's done via using seperate VLAN's for the phones versus the PC's. You are correct in thinking that if the customer owns the network gear, they should be configuring it. Check your Technician's Handbook for some helpful information on how to set up the network to "play nice" with the IP phones.

Thanks Lundah!

I'm very happy to have found this forum, I think I will visit it regularly nad hopefully, over time, I can help other people out as I'm convinced I will master the Mitel (I also have over 8 year experience with Siemens systems, this helps a lot, I only have to worry about network issues!).

ISDN30 is also called PRI here in Europe (I'm in the Netherlands. As far as I know T1 has a bandwith of 1.5 Mbps and 24 B channels and 1 D channel where E1 has a bandwith of 2 Mbps, 30 B channels and 1 D channel, so in a technical point of view there's no difference in connecting a T1 of E1 line except that you have to let the pbx know what type it is.

The customer decided that he wants the phones on a separate network, so I'm going to use the internal L2 switch of the Mitel for now. I'm sure he will be needing more phones, but for that he has to buy an extra PoE switch, or VLANs have to be programmed in his switches (which is not possible since he uses quite old 3COM switches).

I heared that it's not wise to change the VLAN tag in the Mitel (130). Is that true or just a myth?

For ISDN E1 it is the same as for ISDN PRI on a Mitel

Work through the menus 1 by 1, Sys Conf, then Sys Admin.
For the E1 to as least work, Make sure you know what the Full DDI range is for the incoming ISDN 30, and what digits are being presented to the switch, 4, 5 or 6 digits then use the Trunk Service Digit Mod (absorb/Insert) to help you map those numbers to your extensions.
It would have been good to have known this info before you programmed the extension number range.
Use the Online help in the right corner if you get stuck on any particular form, its useful for explanations.
For ARS check out the number plan document released by Oftel in November and work out a plan. Some things are straight forward, but it will help you reduce the chances of you having hefty phone bills for the boss to pay.

I've never run into issues with changing the VLAN tag on in the DHCP options. The customer I'm currently working with is even using CDP to assign the VLAN membership. It's been my experience that voice is usually the last of 3-4 other VLAN's already running on the network.

Hi Vinz3nt,

Another option you can use in the future.... you can download Mitel templates from MOL, these will have all your basic configs already programmed i.e. C.O.S, C.O.R, PRI, ARS, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back