Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

starting assem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasalice

Programmer
Aug 11, 1999
US
hey can any one tell me what instruction set the 486 and intels use and how to get started programming in them. it has been a long time since I have done any assem programming and even then I was not good

All the x86 chips use the same basic instuction set. The only differences from 8088 to 486 and even Pentium are mostly specialized instuctions for managing memory, etc. Things that application programmers shouldn't have to worry about.<br>
<br>
I'm sure Intel publishes a manual on Principles of Operation or something to that effect but one way to learn without buying a book is to download some source code (preferably well commented), assemble it, and study the listings for a while. Then ask questions about specific parts that don't make sense to you. Right here is a great place to ask those questions.<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back