Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting and Ending an invoice with a "$" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcoutts

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
I have an invoice that I want to have only the first and last dollar amount with a "$" and the other get none, e.g.,
Code:
  BALANCE
    Previous Balance    .    .    .    . $1000
    Amount Received     .    .    .    .    50
    Interest  .    .    .    .    .    .     3

FEES
    Hourly Fee     .    .    .    .    .  2000

CONSULTANTS
    Structural consultant for framing  .   500

TOTAL AMOUNT DUE UPON RECEIPT   .    . $3453
The last one is no problem since I have "TOTAL AMOUNT..." in a footer, so I can specify it explicitly. The 1st "$" is a little trickier. The values for my invoice are read in from a table and sorted by Category. My table has (3) columns, e.g.,
Code:
   Category    Description               Subtotal
   ----------- ------------------------- --------
   BALANCE     Previous Balance              1000
   BALANCE     Amount Received                 50
   BALANCE     Interest                         3
   FEES        Hourly Fees                   2000
   CONSULTANTS Structural consultant          500
So the 1st value for Subtotal needs the "$," but not the subsequent ones. How can a put a test in my Report that checks if this is the first attempt to write a value for Subtotal and, if so, format it with a "$?"

Thanks!
Rich

Ok, I did something like that once, let's see if it helps you. I needed to add a value to only the first value in the report. So in the detail section, using the on print event I have the following code: ([BaseReturnAmt] being the field I wanted to add the value to just the first record)

Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer)

lBaseValue = 0

If Me.CurrentRecord = 1 Then
lBaseValue = Me.BaseReturnAmt
End If
End Sub

Does this help? Dawn

Your suggestion got me heading in the right direction. The "On Format" event gets triggered for every detail in my report. If I put in the line:
Code:
  MsgBox "Subtotal:" & lblSubtotal.OldValue
Then every time my report opens it shows a series of dialog boxes starting with the first value (the one I want to add the "$" to). So, it seems like I can play with format at this point, e.g., if its the first call to the event handler, change the format of lblSubtotal. Can you tell me how to do that? Looking at the properties of lblSubtotal, I don't see anything resembling format.

-Rich

Rich, Try this:

Add an invisible text box to your detail section. Set its control source to =1 and its Running Sum to Over Group.

In the On Format event of your detail section you could interrogate the value of your text box. If it's equal to 1, then format your subtotal field the way you want it......

Oh I forgot to tell you that part. I will use my example again. The lbasevalue in my example is then used in the formula in the control source of the feild. I am not very good at this and had help on mine. But what Kosmo says is accurate, I just set the running sum to over group for the field I was calculating. Then on the first record it added the value and after that it did not. I am sorry I am not more helpful. Dawn

Thanks for the posts. They make sense to me and I'm sure they will work. I just have one, embarassingly simple question -- how does one change the format of a text box in VB? I know how to call the code when the Event gets triggered, but what is the function call to change a text box's format?

Thanks!
Rich

One easy way is to change the text box to the Currency format:
Code:
If me.txtCounter = 1 Then
  me.Subtotal.Format = "Currency"
End If

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back