Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a business 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I started Johnson Computer Consulting when I first got certified with Microsoft. Trying to get your name out and beat the big guys that charge over $100 an hour isn't always that easy. I've tried calling into talk radio to offer free advice, advertising in the paper, all kinds of things. Getting a small business started isn't all that easy, but when you get the jobs, it's worth it. Anybody have any ideas on how to get your name out there? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

mmorancbt, I can't believe you haven't written any faq's on cold-calling or public speaking. Share the wealth.
[2thumbsup]

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Some thought has gone into producing just such an item. My book, "The I.T. Career Builder's Toolkit" started in 2002 at the prompting of a similar forum.

Currently I am busy writing 3 new chapters and an entirely new presentation on creativity.

However, I can divulge this... In a post above I reference some mini-case studies on my site. I never drop off a sheet of features or a resume. I always leave them with a case-study or two. I don't try to take any one's time but I do ask for a card, a name to follow up with, and the best time to contact them.

Two days later I call and ask for the individual. I ask if they've had a chance to read the case-studies. I ask for 2 minutes. I speak to them about how I don't provide technology, I provide solutions. Technology is just one tool of many.

I ask if I could have 10 minutes of their time to meet in person. If not, I ask if I can keep in touch and ask for an email. 90%+ it is a yes. Then I keep in touch.

If they allow me to meet, I land the client about 70% of the time. Sometimes I get a meeting in 2 weeks, sometimes I call back for a year before getting a meeting. As long as they continue to take my calls, I call.

I also have an Access DB I wrote that sends out HTML emails to people I've met. It points them to my consulting site and case-studies. It also ask if they are seeing the ROI on their technology that they would like. And it ask a rhetorical question..

"Is technology in your organization viewed as a necessary evil or as a tool that provides strategic & competitive advantage? If this question makes you uncomfortable, you need to speak with me." - or something similar.

Read my article, "Why Technologists Must Learn To Speak Business" to better understand my philosophy, approach, and how I sell myself.

It is fairly easy to say but far more difficult to do. In fact, in a KPMG Study - cited in the article, a majority of CEO's polled stated a distrust of their I.T. professional. That is a scathing indictment of an industry.

In 1997-2001 I refused to even call my company a technology company. In print and word I referred to the rank and file "integration" companies as, "Server Ploppers" because they sold and installed technology and called it a solution.

We even had a brochure and flash piece that showed the letter E the "does not equal" sign and the letter S. The word solution built off the letter "S".

In my marketing and in my meetings, the comments I recieve are along the lines of, "We've never had a technology vendor speak like you do." Of course, I tell them (this is a bit of marketing showmanship but also philosophically true) - "That's because I am not a technology vendor. I'm a solutions vendor."

At my company we did not sell hardware or software. I would tell our clients that our only commodity was an "intellectual commodity."

In any case, I sold copiers for a short time and hated it. I didn't feel like I was making a difference. But I know the difference I (and my company) made with our clients. I know I still receive calls from past clients asking if I can help them or go into business with them.

"Cold-calling" is 90% belief in what you are doing. At least for me it is. I also understand that it is a numbers issue - a convergence of need and my timing. When I had a project end prematurely last year, I had to go gain some clients. I visited 300 companies in a 9 week period of time.

During that run, I walked in the door of a company that was having a meeting about how they could automate document assembly and distribution. The meeting was taking place in a room right off the lobby and the door was open.

I was dropping info with the receptionist and chimed in, "I was the architect for the enterprise document assembly and management for x insurance, y insurance, and several other organizations. Maybe I can answer some of your questions."

The VP of Operations later said, "what a coincidence." I replied, if you visit 300 companies in 9 weeks you are bound to generate a coincidence or two.

There, now you know all my secrets.

I hope some find this helpful.

Matthew Moran

Here's a star for being such a pro. Hope the your future is bright and profitable.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Glen and All,

Just read Matt's post about cold calling. I never cold call ever, most of us don't. Why don't we try to commit to talking to 100 businesses in 10 weeks. I don't think we have anything to lose but some shoe leather.

What do say gang?

Marc

mdwmail said:
Why don't we try to commit to talking to 100 businesses in 10 weeks.
100/10 = 2*5 days per week. So if we visit 2 companies a day in a five day work week, this is ten a week, so in 10 weeks, we've reached 100 companies. Anybody out there don't think this can be done?

Glen A. Johnson
TTinChicago
Johnson Computer Consulting

Glen,

Let's do it.... Let's commit to visiting to companies each day that we have had no previous contact with. Before we start though, maybe we should brainstorm an approach that we all can use.

Let me know what you think,

Marc

Glen,

I have a couple of articles that I have written, printed out on a sheet of paper. I on each side. I am going to take than and make a 1/3 sheet line card with all my skills on it. I plan on visiting the business on each side of each client that I work with and just dropping it off and saying that I do work next door with so and so and just wanted to introduce myself.

Marc

That is a bit the way I went in, about 2 years ago.
Throw some (or a lot) of small fish out, to catch the big ones.
Word of mouth is a BIG marketing tool, it takes time, but it works, at least, it did for me.

Marc

Greetings All,

Just wanted to update you on the "cold calling" idea. I just picked up a new client yesterday from a previous bit of cold calling.

A few weeks ago as I was working with a client who is in a shared office environment, I mentioned to the manager of the complex that I made computers work. He said he needed some help with some networking issues and would call me. He called and I fixed some things and I am going back this AM to install virus/spyware software and reconfigure some networked printers. Should be a nice little project for today and more work in the future.

Also, yesterday, I went to a seminar on integrated personal marketing...networking. I learned some interesting things. If anyone wants a recap and some links to the presenter, let me know.

Have to work,

Marc

mdwmail said:
If anyone wants a recap and some links to the presenter, let me know.
That's what the forum is for. I for one look forward to it.

Glen A. Johnson
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Greetings Glen and hopefully others,

This is a recap of a seminar I attended the other day. It was presented by Clay Neves, The event was presented to the Utah Apartment Association’s vendor group. I take care of UAA’s computer system and network, and I am a member of their education committee. There were only about 20 participants at this event and I think all came away with some useful information.

Clay’s topic was Relationships to Revenue, A Strategic Approach to Systematic Networking.

The gist of the seminar was that relationships are the most important aspect of your business. If you are able to create quality relationships, then these relationships will help you promote your business. Clay suggests that once you build a relationship, you open yourself up to entering other people’s circle of influence. He states that most of us have between 250 and 500 personal relationships, those who respect our opinions and would be open to someone recommended by us.

Clay’s main point is “The quality of your professional life is dependent on the quality AND quantity of your professional relationships.

Clay talks about learning how to network effectively. What I got from this is reinforcement of ideas I’ve already had. When you meet someone for the first time, you do not talk about yourself. You have a prepared 2 minute “elevator speech” that you can give, but you first find out about the other person by asking leading questions. People love to talk about themselves and if you ask them the questions you need answered to see if the person fits your qualifications of a prospective client or customer, these people with generally self qualify themselves. Once you know that this person is right for you, then you can go on to describe what you do and how you do it and what unique value you can offer them.

I have always been good at networking, I thought, until I realized that more often than not, I did most of the talking. I am working at doing more listening and then offering thoughts and suggestions about services that I could provide, if the need was there. This is bit of a challenge, because, I want it to be about me and that is counter productive.

What I am working on is an internalized list of solutions that I can provide to cover most answers that I receive from the other person. I am also working to refine my “elevator speech” to clearly define the “unique value” that I have to offer.

Comments…..?

Let me know,

Marc
“I make computers work”

Matt,

I read your article. It makes many very good points. It is interesting to me, a long time "people person" and salesman, that you had to spell out many of the things you did for the more technical people.

The point that I need to work on most is the "track your Contact" issue. Though I know all that I need to know about doing this, I very rarely ever write anything down. I do have the capacity to remember a lot of useless info, though I need to start writing these things down. I carry my ipaq everywhere and I am starting to think about making an effort to take better notes.

Also, I read you blog from Tuesday and I am glad that I niether a manager nor an employee.

I've been swamped lately but I've got some more ideas for our seminar. I'll email you later

Marc

My only suggestion would be to always be on the alert when talking to new people. If you pay attention, you may notice that there are potential clients all around. In working for one client, I may come into contact with one of their friends or business associates. When this happens, and only if I've done a good job for the current client, I make sure to listen to what people say, and ask questions: Do you have a website? Do you have a database to manage your data? Would you be interested in a quote? I have been surprized at how many clients I have gained when operating in this way. Always be selling your skills and talents.

Greetings All,

I am looking for new and exciting things that I can share with my client base to help them get more out of their computer systems. Has anyone done anything "out of the box" lately? Let me know. I think we all can learn from this.

Thanks,

Marc

Glen Johnson - Question's for Johnson Computer Consulting...

If you don't want to answer, I understand.

I was wondering if you make more money consulting than you did with your 13+ years job, or if you just like the environment better?

What have you found as the most effective way of advertising?

Also, how is business for you since you quit your job? I am curious because I want to do the exact same thing as you, but in a different State...

Thanks

mark01, no problem. First, yes when I land a job consulting I can charge a lot more than I did on the hour. The only difference is that before I had a weekly paycheck and insurance. Being self employed is a lot scarier, but a lot more rewarding if you can handle it. As far as advertising, here's a reply I made in a different post.
Here's what you wanta do. Start listening to the most popular talk radio show in your area. When they start a drive for something, call them up, and tell them that anybody that donates more than $25 for the cause, you will give them one hour of FREE computer consulting. Doesn't matter if it's for home or business, $25 gets them one hour free. This will get you publicity, and show people you care about helping the community. Last, make sure you FOLLOW THRU with anybody that donates the $25. Good luck.
Last, I found another full time job in another field I really enjoy, but I'm keeping with this one. Good luck to you, and bye the bye, I have seen an increase in IT again, after a long dry spell.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin/Central Florida feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers
[xmastree]

I READ THE WHOLE THING!!!!

:D

Much thanks to those that participated in a great thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back