Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a business 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I started Johnson Computer Consulting when I first got certified with Microsoft. Trying to get your name out and beat the big guys that charge over $100 an hour isn't always that easy. I've tried calling into talk radio to offer free advice, advertising in the paper, all kinds of things. Getting a small business started isn't all that easy, but when you get the jobs, it's worth it. Anybody have any ideas on how to get your name out there? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

hi glen

if you want to get your name registered in the minds of users lot of marketing needs to be done...

well you could market abt the services you offer in
groups,discussion forums,chat rooms etc where by word of mouth it starts spreading...

cheers
Sundeep

Mind if I come in as well?

A couple of things that have helped us promote so to speak....one is to find a niche in the market ..make yourself stand out in an area or be memorable for some specific reason. I remember one thing that stands out (according to my clients) that came back as feedback is that the client never carried equipment to a vehicle on pickup. Seems so simple but sometimes we miss the trees while seeing the forest.

Other feedback: I always provide a mousepad, computer stand, printer cable etc when I do a system setup. Wiring is always installed neatly and cable tied...and then attached to the wall using clips that are mounted.

I don't do retail anymore....by choice. I specialized in small/medium business so that I could do a better job. Once I had that sorted out, I had to train in all relevant aspects of the support my client target group would need, including accounting and related software, Microsoft Office products, Corel applications, etc. Presentation software packages as well.

It's a lot of work, but like you said, it is worth it.

Another thing you need to have is a support network. I have a printer repair contractor that goes in to our clients under OUR name, with our workorders.

We can give them whatever help they need and so they don't look to anyone else. If you are a convenient option for a company and they only have to make one phone call to fix whatever problem they encounter, you are halfway there already.

Hope you don't mind the interjection....thought I might share a bit. I know what it is like starting out.

Kimber

It's very tough. We're in the same boat. I joined in wiht a guy who's just starting to expand. We're working on the website. Got an interview coming up in te local paper. Doing flyers and he's going to be doing courtesy calls while I handle the shop. We're looking into the cost of a fleyer distributed with the local paper and ads in small regional weeklies. Going to be an uphill climb.

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

Partnerships with manufactures help a lot.

Not an owner, but worked for this compnay since it was pretty small. One of the things that helped to get things rolling was to build strong relationships with our core business. I find that most potential customers have no idea who to call for their technology needs, so they call the manufacture. If the manufacture knows about you, you can get referrals from them.

Also, when ever you work with another consultant, competition or not, be sure to form a relationship and exchange company resumes. We have consulting firms that specialize in hardware or software that my company does not support. If we run into a client that has a need for them, we call them. When they run into a client that has needs they don't support and we do, they call us. We also do similar with competitors. Even though we do MS consulting, we have consulting firms the specialize in MS call us into clients if there is a need for Novell support which they don't have. Works out pretty good in many cases. There have been the few cases when we lost an account cause the client liked the other guy better, or we got the account cause the client wanted to work with just one company for all networking needs.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

Glen

And all other "Entrepreneurs" sound like we all need to help each other.

I for one am happy to develop entry level web media at cost. My only proviso is that we have benners for both our companies which helps spread word.

By all means drop me a line through this forum and we'll take things from there.

-----------------
Cogito Ergo Sum
-----------------

In hope of not coming off too arogant...
I'm doing decent and have TOO much work and didn't even try to go into business.

lost my job in march from a nervous breakdown(wife abandonded me and kidnapped the kids-haven't seen them in 13 months... soon i pray)

unemployed for 6 months or so...
lots of bad bad crap.

my old clients from previous job started calling me.

word of mouth ive got WAY more work than i can handle...
trying to hire or partner... down in New Orleans...
but don't have time to think about it.

have a huge list of clients wanting my services...but won't even attempt them yet.

no marketing...
at christmas i disappeared and didn't call back my clients for 2 months....

they all begged me to come back to do work.

my skills.... haven't programmed since NASA in 93...
know enough about networking to get basic stuff done...
some unix... to get the job done in HPUX , SCO, or Linux
list goes on...
basically i know a little about it all...
i know quite a bit about some...
but i have some business sense...
and recognize problems and solutions that the client doesn't realize exist. that comes from a high repor with every employee at each client site...
very personal but professional attitude...
people skills, and mastering the real networking...
not the wired kind.

my clients all think im kooky.... (my tablet follows me into their office sometimes on a ER1 evolution robotics fixture!)... but know ill get the job done or get the people to do it... and not take them to the cleaners on bills.... but be willing to pay a fair price for my services.

also... pick the right clients... i used to own a sign shop... i was the cheapest guy in town... i got the cheapest clients... PAIN IN THE BUTT. more work... no money.

now.... i have clients on the lines of 'elite entrepeneurs...' like lawyers, dentists, doctors, successful local businesses, etc.
no small time local startup that 2nd mortgaged their house to make believe business...
my clients own other business - natural networking.
or they are usually heavilly involved in local organizations. im their best friend for IT... i made sure of it.

i give a lot of work away...
and the invoice should always show every thing done or supplied and freebies should be discounted and pointed out. just manage it so they feel special and like they're getting a little break. "free cable organizations... free basic network docs..."
i always do that to "start them off right" since they are turning a new leaf and using me instead of their old resource.

its not always the money you want... it's also the network... it's more the network.
that is the ONLY marketing that works.... any other "marketing" under 1 million dollars is to desperately generate word of mouth. make sure it does.
newspaper adds.... a lawyer won't look there for work.
grandpa might.

only do commercial work unless its a favor for a client, and then do it for free or parts only so that they won't keep calling you expecting to get their money's worth when they crap it out again. also a little free personal work now and then REALLY makes them spread the word... they usually feel obligated to help me out since i didn't charge them, but i make sure they understand i NEVER do home personal work... they're just my special client.

there's alot you can do if you're consulting locally anddon't want to go IPO next year. i don't want a million in income next year... i want to work 2 hours a day average and make more than i used to and enjoy my life.
just step out of your shoes and get good at personal networking and think of your clients perspective.
soon ill hire/partner(they mean the same in my business strategy) and help out another into independence!

ok... just a little quick rambling there...... got to go back to work! (at home in bed on my tablet / robot with internet radio visualized through my tax deducted presentation projector dreaming of seeing my kids again soon!)

again... didn't want to come off arogant... but you can make it harder than it really is you know!
the first GOOD connection is your first focus....
from there it's exponentially easier over patient time.
just don't rely on it for survival at first, but don't ever let go of the dream of why you're doing in the first place!

oh... and don't forget... YOU PAY DOUBLE TAXES WORKING FOR YOURSELF.... charge more!

Harlequin007
I for one am happy to develop entry level web media at cost. My only proviso is that we have benners for both our companies which helps spread word.
Site sharing? Sounds like something to look into.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

STUPID ME
I said...
...only do commercial work unless its a favor for a client, and then do it...

I meant residential/private/home work... not commercial.

sorry about that!

I am Marshall ... I come from Mars ... I come in peace

first computer... atari 800XL

The easiest way I found to develop my name/brand is to work for 1 big named client at a discounted price. I know its giving stuff away to those that can afford it, but you need the contacts. I develop software, and now, thanks to a couple of large firms have now gained permanent service contracts with about 20 other companies. The thing is, that all the smaller companies, or competitors, hear about new software developed especailly for 1 market leader, and then all want a piece of the .com/.net pie. FANTASTIC! It takes a little while to develop exactly the right product, not only for the bespoke client, but also for the whole market, but once you have exactly what everyone wants, then the orders come flooding in.

Also, don't be afraid of sending clients personalised mail, with THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED somewhere in the text!

BB

Wish me luck gang. Left my job of 13+ years to go after Johnson Computer Consulting. Anymore suggestions will be grateful.
[cheers]

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago

Glen, Good luck with the new Career!! Lots of resources out there for starting a new business. DO NOT forget about searching the Government sites for ideas and or models. It sounds odd, going to the govt for help, but that is exactly who you have to deal with to start this endeavor and get it rolling. If you are a Vet, the VA will help as well. Itcamefrommars has lots of good points concerning what you need to look at when offering services. Itcamefrommars, welcome back to the land of the living, hope all works out well.

Another idea for getting new clients is to do some reading on the famed 'elevator speech'. The basis of the idea is you meet a potential client/employer in the elevator and you have to sell yourself to them before they get off. Find a new business forum and start getting answers from them. Find an individual that has made a success for the business you want to start and talk with them. Most successful business owners are willing to talk as they have made it and have no fear of you taking their clients, especially if you tell them you are establishing in another state...;-)

Certs may be over rated but it is something that potential clients may understand and get that warm and fuzzy all over feeling. Just something that may help you stand out from the pack get noticed by the client is what you are looking for.

Again Good Luck!!

thek25
CCNP, CISSP in progress...

Yeah, good luck Glen. It's a rough world out there, so I'm told!
I would definately reiterate (sp?) thek's comment about looking at government sites. Certainly in the UK there are is a big push to standardise data storage schema throughout different government departments to allow easier transmission of data between groups.
Even if you don't do any work for government agencies, it's useful to bear in mind in case your contractor comes in contact government agencies.
There are also places where government projects go out for tender. It's a lot of work, but if you can get one of those it looks really good on a list of clients!

Just my thoughts

Ben

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara "Where are all the stupid people from...
...And how'd they get so dumb?"
rockband.gif
NoFX-The Decline
----------------------------------------------

oharab definately hit the nail on the head when it comes to govt contracts. VERY Lucrative business, cut throat but money to be made. There are some big players but start small and work your way in. Most of the big players only bid on the large deals and let the small ones go. Half the time they will have to hire people to do the contract they won as they have no one in employment that is capable of doing what it is they signed up to do. make sense? I work in the govt IT sector and it is very convoluted. So it could be worthwhile getting your systems up govt security standards, Orange Book or Common Criteria... Also, this is where certifications are important. Government understands paper...nothing more on that.

Good Luck

thek25
CCNP, CISSP in progress...

Thanks all, hope to finish MCSA this year. Way to many MCP's to be impressive. I'll talk to my local VA man to see if he know how I might get into government work. (He's a good man, stationed oversees, came home and his young son didn't recognize him. He only had two years (I think) left before retiring with full benefits, but the part with his son hit home. He retired before re-upping to finish his stint and get benefits.)

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago

oh... the book....
"from serf to surfer" is good reading...
very generalized business stuff for various IT consultants/independants...
but great overview and excellent point of view.

nice and inspiring also!

Later for you foo

I am Marshall ... I come from Mars ... I come in peace

first computer... atari 800XL

Greetings,

I have sucessfully run a computer consulting business for over 20 years. If there are any specific questions I can answer, please feel free to ask,

Marc

I know there are places on the internet where you can bid on troubleshooting jobs, so the lowest bidder gets the job. Ideas?

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago

My experiment with running my own consulting business started after I parted ways with my former employer. I found it quite easy to sub for established names in the business, but the pay cycle was a killer. Sometimes it took 90 days to get paid. How did you get around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back