Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting 1 App when opening VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnibusa

Technical User
Oct 13, 2020
NO
Hi.

I do apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have no clue what I am searching for when it comes to this.
What I am after is as followed:

I have a virtual machine with WS2016. When I start that, I want an app or script to open up without windows coming up.
Let's say I just want Internet explorer to start without windows showing. So when someone access that computer, all the get is IE.

Can someone guide me through that or send me in the right direction please?

Been looking for this solution for some time.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are wanting to setup a type of remote desktop service. There are several ways to accomplish this but it sounds like Remote App Host would be the best and easiest solution where you only publish Internet Explorer browser and then users can launch a session on that system. Have a look at " Which shoes a basic example of how this works. The example shows Server manager but for you it would be Internet Explorer.

The only person who should be accessing the server directly and have full access is the server administrator, users who need access would use RD Web to access IE via remote connection. Licensing may be involved depending on your setup you may even need more than 1 virtual server to accomplish this job. If it's only for a couple users and you have a decent virtual machine then there should be no issue doing a simple setup on one server and publishing IE.

Hi.
Thanks for the answer, but not exactly what I am after.

I want only the app to turn up and not windows at all.
It will login to windows ofcourse, but when all essentials is loaded, only the app will pop up as windows of choice.
I have seen this be done with citrix spesific.

It seems you are right after all.
I had a look at some videos after I posted, and saw a video that notepad was the only thing opened. No start menu or anything else. Just what I was looking for.
Thank you for the help.

It sounds like you want the VM to open an instance of Windows in Kiosk mode (but haven't said what Windows version).

Have a look at Set up a single-app kiosk for use with Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Education (or Google for windows kiosk mode).

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back