Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startalk Serial connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdannan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2003
US
Does anyone know howto connect a startalk module to a serial port, to dump the printer reports? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Josh

Connect the Flash using a straight thru serial cable with a db9-db25 adaptor and set hyperterminal to 1200-8-n-1. Restart the Flash and when ready login in at Password prompt using SYSMGR (all upper case)

Ok, what about Flow Control? And what's the best way to restart the flash unit, just power down and power back up? Thanks.

Use Xon-Xoff. All other settings are default.
Yes. Leave the PCM cords attached so the Flash will come up and back into service while you are logged in

Mike

Ok, I've tryed what you've said. I can't get it to respond. I know this cable i'm using works too. Any ideas?

Sprucegrover gave the connection specs. exactly right.
your cable only needs pins 2,3 and 7. Make sure it is a straight through cable. You should see a series of bootup test results as the flash boots up.

MarvO said it

do we need a software to connect?

norstar manager voicemail client possibly? if so does anyone know where i can get it

thanks,
jean-marc

The last time I used startalk, it was just a terminal with vt100 emulation. But then, mine was 1200 7e1, and others here seem to to have n81.

I'm now wondering which type of Startalk you are trying to connect to. Is it the old Startalk, or a Startalk Mini, or a Startalk Flash, or a NAM?
We might be giving you the wrong information for the wrong voicemail.

MarvO said it

Hi,

the nam that i have is NT5B75AA-93 R0406715 Rel 4 and dated
09/02/95 Model 4 - still having no luck getting into the darn thing.

thanks,
jean-marc

I managed to get a video card in ...looks like it is running os.2 warp - but i can't do anything...the memory test is also failing - do you need the mem to get the thing going? Any help is appreciated or does anyone know where i can get an os/2 warp manual?

thanks,
jean-marc

yes you need memory for voice mail to work also need to be hooked up to a norstar ksu for the voice mail to actually come up and work...

Pat Guido
NEXTIRAONE
Pat.guido@nextiraone.com

Formerly Nextira, formerly Williams Communications, formerly Wiltel, formerly Nortel networks, formerly Northern Telecom, formerly, Nynex meridian systems formerly Northern Telecom.

Hi,

below are the error that i see.

backpack cd rom not found
wsb0008 error configuring memory
fumpb1 - memory not detected
voxb1 - d/4x memory not detected

it keeps on trying to initialze the modem - is a modem needed to get this up?

thanks,
jm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back