Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startalk main menu prompting to an extension 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjoetech

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
US
I'm having problems that I cant seem to find the answer to. I built a path in startalk. In this path I recorded a company greeting. I want this greeting to be able to select an extension and tranfer to this extension. However, when I play it back and get to the point where I enter the extension, it starts replaying my lsdt promt all over again.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

OK. I am now at the point where I can prompt my way through the tree and listen to all the names with extensions in the menu. The problem now is, I have to wait until all the names are read before I can make my selection. Otherwise it repeats from the first name again.

I was hoping to be able to press the appropriate extension (Example: for the CEO press 22), and be able to go right to "22" without having to wait to hear the other 19 users names and extensions. Again, its making me wait otherwise if I dial during it reverts back to the top.

Thank so much!

Joe

Try looking here first:

Then go to:

Near page 164 of the pdf file, you will be in the Setup and Operation guide, section 4-1 (CCR trees). Make sure that each path you build as a transfer point follows the conventions listed.

From the brief description of the problem, it may be that you have set the destination type to return to home menu and may not have successfully saved your transfer paths. It is important to disable CCR before making any changes, and it is important to save changes before re-enabling CCR, otherwise the changes will not post to memory (and there is no resulting error message to alert you that changes did not post).

Thanks Missedit, I read the chapter on page 164, but I did not see an option that allows me to build a path that I can say, "for a company directory, press X". Then I press X and I program a recording that lists 19 people w/extensions and someone can dial the extension when they hear the name & ext. Can this be done?

Thanks very much!

Joe

When listening to your company directory, if you press "*22" and ext. 22 is a valid extension with a set attached, what happens ? What I think you are working with is the transfer function in the automated attendant company directory.

The other option would be to build one path in the CCR for each extension (as long as you only have a few it would work, but remember different Startalks allow different levels of CCR trees).

You could make a transfer point to an extension.
Disable CCR
Select the tree you want to work on
Select a path (add the path or edit existing) For example, "1"
Select type <XFER>
Select type INT (internal)
Enter "22" for ext. 22 as the destination
Display should return to prompt PATH
Save CCR tree
enable CCR

In your message, advise callers to press "1" for the CEO and when they do, the call will go to ext. 22

As to which approach to use, it really depends on the size of your user-base and the quantity of persons or departments needing direct access from an outside caller.

Thanks again. WHat you explained I can do. What I was hoping for is a menu that says;

Thank you for calling ABC widgets,
for sales press 1
service press 2
for a company directory press 3

(CALLER PRESSES 3)

For the CEO press 22
for joe smith, press 23
for john Doe press 24
for jane jones press 25
for the janitor press 26
and so on....
I actually got this far, but I when I press 22 for the CEO without letting the message play all 19 peoples name and extension, it reverts back to the top of the message starting with the CEO again. However, I do get the CEO's phone ringing if I let the message finish (without reverting back to the top)

Obviosly, people wont listen to all 19 people when they hear the one they want to select.

From what I understand you want to do, CCR with a branch to each person's ext. is not really the intended use of that feature.

If you do not like using the traditional company directory function, You could do something like this:

Create a CCR tree with one branch being, press "1" for the employee directory.

Use branch 1 to transfer to an information only mailbox. In that mbox, start off with ... When you hear the name of the party you are trying to reach, select them using your touch tone phone. Our directory ... CEO J. Smith Press Star 22, Finance Manager Jones Press Star 23 etc. etc.

The down side is that you or an admin must keep the info box up to date. The up side is that you only have to give out the info box password and do not have to putter in programming.

I have not played with info boxes on a startalk for some time, but I believe (not 100% sure) that you can use it in that manner.

Thanks very much for this advice. I will putz with this a while and see what happens. Again, Thanks!

Joe

I justed logged in to an old startalk mini running on an old 616 and set up a transfer (Press 3 for employee listing) to an information mail box, then did the STAR 22 to break out to ext. 22 and it worked fine. So if you have a flash, it should also work fine. When you hit star, there is a roughly 1 second pause then the automated voice comes on and asks you to dial the ext. You do not have to wait for the voice, but if the caller hesitates, there are reminded.

So, if in your info box message you stress at each person Press STAR 22, or for J. Jones Press STAR 24, and so on, you can immediately break out of the list and get to an extension.

One last note, the listing message needs to be in an information mailbox and NOT on an Information Branch on the CCR tree. You go in to regular mail box admin and create the information box there and then activate it like any other box. Choose a box number that will never conflict with a real extension.

This is a different box the INFO option that appears in CCR programming as an option along side of Leave Msg and Transfer. The INFO option in CCR programming allows you to only create a message that will play when someone hits the corresponding 1-sales, 2-service, 3- for some information. The INFO feature does not behave like an Information type mail box.

Make the directory listing a menu point and record all the employees as you did, then provide a dummy transfer point below the menu to make the CCR tree valid. A caller is able to dial out of a menu option at any time, where as if an information point is used they are stuck until finished or press "*" as suggested earlier. You are limited to two menu levels in a Flash voicemail.

In your example Path 0 lists option 3 as company directory. Make Path 3 a menu and list the employees. Create Path 3-1 as transfer to GD or reception to complete the tree.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back