Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Startalk Flash PCMCIA Card corrupt, how to repair? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

miekodamonkey

Technical User
Oct 17, 2008
US
I have 2 PCMCIA cards that are both version 1.44 for my startalk flash. I think one of them is corrupt b/c it doesnt work when I install it. So I bought myself a PCMCIA reader thinking I could copy the files of the good 1.44 software and paste it onto the bad 1.44 software. But im having trouble opening/exploring the files in my PCMCIA card.

I bought the card as shown in the attachment and I installed the driver, but Im still confused on how am suppose to explore my pcmcia card.

Can anyone help me out on this one?

!B(8)EdQ!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmV5FdBKe527WbEQ~~_35.JPG

I don't think that the Startalk cards are PCMCIA ones!. I thought that 8 Meg ATA ones were used. I have managed to copy The Norstar CICS & Startalk cards my using an old program called ELAN card reader via a laptop with PCMCIA slots.

This is part of the readme file below.

Memory Card Explorer v3.14
(c) Elan Digital Systems Limited
Memory Card Explorer ( 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP )

Memory Card Explorer ("MCE" & "MCE/NT") is a graphical Windows
software package which provides direct access to the data stored
in flash, SRAM and ATA PCMCIA memory PC Cards. It allows the
binary "image" of the card data to be saved to or loaded from the
hard disk drive in simple and fast operations. Data between any
two address blocks can be copied and edited.

The format of the data on the card is unimportant - it could be
a TFFS style format, or it could be a proprietary format written by
a logger or portable instrument, or it could contain a mixture
of formats. In all cases MCE can access the data. Also included
is a card viewer that allows direct hex display of the data
on the card.

I managed to zip the Startalk 1.4 files for storage OK 4 years ago without any problems.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

thanks, ill try that elan card reader program on a laptop that has a pcmcia slot. Thanks. Ill let you know how it goes.

I have tried searching all over the net for that elan card reader program, but I havent notice it. Do you have any direct link where I can download it?

Ok so i wasnt really sure if i was suppose to download the mce 30 day trial or download a file from the downloads section.
so I downloaded this for my laptop; ( the pseries pcmcia driver.

After I installed it, it made a Pseries folder in my c:/programfiles. But in the pseries folder, theres 2 documents (readme and license file). Isnt there suppose to be an executable file or is the program suppose to automatically open up after i slide my pcmcia in?

No, the drive is not listed. Thats what I was hoping for.. a new listed drive where I can access it whenever I put in a PCMCIA card.

The readme is long b/c it talks about compatibility with every operating system. Mostly talks about FAQ on issues regarding about the adapter, but my issue is not listed.

Thanks to every1 thats helping me out :)

Hi Firescrambler, could I get a copy of the card software also. my email is t3chhelp (at symbol) yahoo.com.

Thanks

I've emailed 3 files that I have. Were they received OK?.
The Nortel PCMCIA programmer card will only work on PCMCIA cards. The ELAN program will work on 8Meg ATA cards that are used for Startalk and CICS etc.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

aha!
thanks firebird for this information.
can you send me copy of this programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back