Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start-up message!! 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimalp

Technical User
Feb 16, 2003
CA
Hi All,

I have win 98 as OS. When it start it gives me message that

"Cannot find the file 'c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\fsqck.exe' (or one of its componenets) Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

That means somehow i deleted one of its libraries or components. I don't remember what this program was in my computer for!!. But may be i uninstalled it wrongly and registry entry doesn't modified after uninstallation.

How can i get rid of this messages? if i have to edit registry, than how it can be done safely?

I appereciate all your inputs :)

Regards,

Vimal Patel

Hi Vimal,

Click on Start, then go to Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools, then select System Information. Then click on Tools and Select System Configuration Utility. Then Select Autoexec.bat from the tab and see if there is some line that contains 'c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\fsqck.exe'. If not then select Config.sys from the tab and check for the same line. If u'll find the same, then just remove the check mark from the front of that line. Close while saving changes.

PSingh

Isn't this one of the worms or virus's? It sounds vaguely familiar. Could be your antivirus deleted it but the reference to it is still in the startup settings.
By the way the shortcut to that program is to type msconfig in the run box.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi PSingh and Jon,

Thanks for prompt response!

I checked autoexec.bat and config.sys files and found no such entries!! Probably it was virus component and antivirus utility deleted all files of it. But how can i stop this to pop on my desktop every time i start my computer?

Thx,

Hi Vimalp,

Start -> Run -> type: msconfig -> hit Enter -> Startup Tab and untick any entries relating to fsqck. Click Apply and restart your computer.

John

John,

I did check but i can not find that entry in start-up. Its surprise now, how and from where i get this message????

I checked followings:
1)Autoexec.bat
2)Config.sys
and 3)start-up entries.

Thanks and appreciated!

Regards,

Its probably a reference in the registry that's causing it. Open the registry editor: "start-run type regedit and hit ok"
then navigate to "hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\curentversion\run
and see if anything there has "fsqck.exe" in it and then delete it.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Hi RocKeRFelLerZ,

I tried and found NO such entry.

Thanks a million for your help!

in the windows directory look in
win.ini and system.ini

maybe

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Did you search whole registry for fsqck?

You ran msconfig - did you check in win.ini & system.ini?

We must have been posting at the same time. Minds must be tracking, too.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi wolluf & Ed Fair,
I checked system.ini and found following entry in [boot] folder !!!

shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\fsqck.exe

Can i go ahed and uncheck this line in boot folder?

Many Thanks,

I don't have a win98 machine to check right now, but I think that you'll want it to be:

shell=Explorer.exe

System.ini should read
Shell=Explorer.exe......so
don't uncheck it or you probably won't be able to start computer.......INSTEAD....Go to.......
Start>Run> type in SYSEDIT and hit Enter.....
Erase/Delete that part of the line from System.ini and then SAVE changes.....Close file and restart
The error message should be gone.....

You might want to check to see if System.ini isn't marked as "read only"......so that you're allowed to save changes...Do a find for Sytem.ini first and Right click....choose Properties and uncheck "Read Only" if necessary.....System.ini is in C:\WINDOWS

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

smah,TT4U,

I removed "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\fsqck.exe" from that line and it works okay now!!!

Thanks a Millions for all your help.

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back