Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start of IE or Netscape from a address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ersbygubben

Programmer
May 8, 2001
FI
When I encounter an http-address somwhere (ie. in Eudora) and click on it, this opens Netscape. And since Netscape v.6 is very slow to start, I would like to change this automation so it will start IE instead. I fixed this for a friend some years ago, but now I cant fix it for myself. Forgot what I did. I remeber seen a window asking whith what program you would like to open this or that, but how I search I can't find this window anymore. Anyone have a suggestion how to fix this automatic starting of IE or Netscape or Opera etc.
:-(

I think all you have to do is open IE then go to tools\options\programs Make sure that the check box that says "Internet explorer should always check to see if it is the default browser" is checked. Close then reopen IE it should ask you whether you want IE to be your default browser. Select yes and anytime you click on a link after doing this should open up IE instead of Netscape.

Thanks luceze. I tried your suggestion, noticed I have the box checked, but IE still don't ask me if I want it default. So what next? Of course I can always uninstall Netscape, but sometimes it is better than IE, so that option doesn't feel so good. :-(

Ok try this. Go to explorer\view\options\file types check to see if the default for any of the file types says Netscape. If they do change them to IExplore. Other than that the only thing I can think of is to uninstall netscape, but I agree Netscape is better in some situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back