Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreFeo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ES
Hi, we've got a server that has WAS and DB2. The scripts for starting WAS are in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and they're linked from /etc/rc.d./rc2.d as S04was, etc...

This morning we've done a shutdown and reboot (to remove some HW from the LPAR profile) and WAS hasn't started automatically, we had to start it manually.

I'm trying to see if the scripts have been run or not, but I'm not seeing anything. Is there any log where it shows all the processes started bye inittab, or something similar?
boot log and console log doesn't show anything like this (I think).

Thanks

Try

alog -L # List the defined log types
alog -o -t boot # View the boot log
alog -o -t console # View the console log

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

I've tried alog with both boot and console, but it doesn't show the information we need.
The boot log only shows leds status, hw configuration and a bit more (varyon and mount).
The console log shows some information about subsystems, but none about other processes.

I'd like to know if our scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d were executed or no. In the case they were executed but failed, we know where is the issue, but in case they weren't even executed we don't know where can be the problem, so perhaps we would make a call to IBM.

Thanks

I don't know if this would help but could you try this:

telinit q > tmp.txt 2>&1

then check the tmp.txt for errors or so!

Regards,
Khalid

Just one question, will telinit q execute the K... scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc? I mean, will my apps be rebooted?

All what it does is to re-examine the /etc/inittab

I'm not sure whether this will give you a clue as a log to the processes in the /etc/inittab but it is one way to TEST!

I don't know what is WAS! but is there any possibility that it didn't start because the DB wasn't up by that time? Check the DB logs!

Regards,
Khalid

WAS is for WebSphere Application Server. I think it's something like you say, that the DB wasn't fully started so the script failed but I'm not seeing anywhere any error logged. So I want to check if the scripts have run or not, if they did run, then it's a problem with the scripts, but if they didn't even run, then it might be a problem with OS and I should fix it.

Thanks

I never tried that but try puting this in the /etc/inittab

l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2 >/tmp/check.txt 2>&1

I repeat I never tried that and i don't know whether it will work! try it on a test environment first and try to backup the /etc/inittab in case you error 553 appears and you need to access maintenance mode to use the backed up copy.

Instead, you can implement that in the script you run inside /etc/rc.d/rc! you can put the script you want in there and point it to other scripts you want (somewhere else) by appending (>/tmp/check.txt 2>&1) after the called script! In this way you can make sure that all your scripts will be monitored when they run.

Regards,
Khalid

The inittab entries for SysV-style (Solaris) startup must exist. If these entries don't exist your rc scripts won't execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back