Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start->Programs, full menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavie

MIS
Sep 10, 2003
SG

Hi,

Whenvever I do a Start->Program, I will get some of the menu items, instead of the complete menu items. I am sick of this behaviour, is there any way to stop this? I know officeXP had a way, but not sure can it be done on native XP.

I also hate the way IE do an auto-search using Microsoft search engine and return with the URL typed garbled up. Is there any hack to stop this nuisance?

Thx in advance
cavie.

A1. right-click the Start Button, Properties, Start Menu, Customize, Advanced, and uncheck 'Scroll Programs.'

right-click the Start Button, Explore All Users, open the Programs folder and organize the programs into Folders.

A2. Search issues under IE:

i. Search Engine - Change to Google

Automated Edit:

Add Google as Primary Search (Line 18)

Manual Edit:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
"Search Page"=""Search Bar"="
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL
""="
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search
"SearchAssistant"="
To change the Search Companion and address bar search to Google, you must disable the Search Companion, change the AutoSearch URL, and then re-enable Search Companion.

To disable the Search Companion feature and use the Classic Internet Search feature open Internet Explorer, click the Search button on the toolbar. Click Change Preferences, and then click Change Internet search behavior. Click With Classic Internet Search, and then click OK. Restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

To change the autosearch URL, open the Search sidebar again and click Customize. Then click AutoSearch settings and select "Google Sites".

To re-enable the Search Companion feature, click Customize on the Search bar. Click Use Search Companion in the Customize Search Settings dialog box, and then click OK. Restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

Hi:

I know this is a quick and dirty fix, but I simply right cick My Computer, click Explore,click Drive C, click Doccuments and Settings, click All Users, click Start Menu, click Programs....Then right click My Computer again and manouver to my- My Doccuments and Settings..Start Menu..Programs, compare both lists and copy any I am missing from All Users to Myself. Every couple of months keeps it the way I want it. ;-)

...Z

Learning-a lifetime occupation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back