Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start button not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

tavi

ISP
Jul 28, 1999
US
HI! I have a problem with the start button on my NT 4.0 workstation. Nothing happens when i click on it ...it just moves in, the menu system does not open. This happened after i installed outlook 98. Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling?

when i right click the menu pops up, but the options are grayed out.

it already has service pack 4. and it's happened to 2 machines. i'd like to find a way to fix this rather than starting all over. thanks for your help.

i have to go with SRG's method in this one tavi. service packs help 99% of problems with NT when new software is added. From modems to soundcards, and all types of wierd happenings in NT.<br>
<br>
You are suggested to re-apply the patches not just let them be installed once. <br>
<br>
Try RE-installing it... Mail me of the result.... <br>
<br>
Karl.<br>
<br>
mc_karl@yahoo.com<br>

Have you tried killing Explorer (three fingered shuffle and END TASK on explorer). Once it stops responding, explorer reinitialises and it is essentially a warm boot without booting. See if that cures it temporarily.<br>
<br>
Also try safe mode and see if it works. This would probably suggest a version conflict with some software installed. <br>
<br>
Technet typically has little help on offer for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back