Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start button not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janatwork

Programmer
Dec 16, 2003
GB
Hi to anyone out there!

I am running Windows98 and I recently downloaded AOL 9 (may be no connection to my problem, but worth mentioning) and whether I left or right click on the start button nothing happens. The button dims as if the command has been accepted but the PC hangs. I can get into the PC by using safemode, but I don't know what to do when I'm in there! the start button works fine in safemode.) has anyone any ideas please.....I'm not sure what else I can tell about the problem

Thanks [ponytails]

This happens to my Windows 98 computer as well. It usually gets stuck when your computer is loading something in the background or you have quickly exited an application and then clicked onto it. Leave a bit of time (5 seconds) once you quit an application before clicking on the Start button. Also, have you tried using the Windows key on the keyboard? There is another way of launching the Start Menu with the keyboard but I cannot remember it at this time.

Hi, Thorpe89

Thanks for replying, but I've left the PC 20 mins (just in case) and nothing. I don't even have the red light flashing on the tower to show that something is happening in the background........
I will try and find out about the windows key though...that might at least give me the chance to perhaps load in Windows98 again. Clutching at straws here, but hey it doesn't work, so I've nothing to lose!!!

Thanks again

[ponytails]

Well, Janet - try running Scan Disk and run Disk Clean Up which will clean unnecessary files.

If the problem started after installing AOL9, try ininstalling it and see if the problem goes away. Then re-install AOL paying attention to all it ads and see if the problem shows back up.
Uninstalling should take place from Safe Mode, and when done, do a START/FIND/Files and Folders... and search on Drive C: for AOL. Delete everything in the list before reinstalling the program.

The test continues...

Thanks Pudda, will try uninstalling AOL.
I'll let you guys know my progress!!!!
Watch for the latest installment............

[ponytails]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back