Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start bar is going wacky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hey my start bar is screwy it never goes to the bottom anymore it starts right in the middle of my screen and then moves over to the side and goes straight up and down. My mouse is also moving slow I scanned for a virus and came back clean. I can't get applets to load or any thing and i miss my yahoo. can anyone help?

thanks, Deb

Thanks but I cant drag the start bar all it will do is get bigger I will try the site you gave me hope it works. I'm just computer dumb i guess. I bought this thing about a year ago and its been nothing but problems my repair man says it does dumb things just because its a compaq.

Yeah Compaq's or Comcrap's as alot of people call them aren't that good. Anyway, find and empty space on the taskbar then left click on it, hold the button down and drag it down to where you want it. That should work.

For your mouse problem try reinstalling the software that came with the mouse.

Deb

Try hitting the F8 key on startup and choose Safe Mode. This will set the taskbar to it's defaiult posistion.

For the slowness, how many background programs are running. Tap the Alt_Ctl_Del keys once and post back what's in the list.

General speed-up tips include:

If it's running that poorly, right-click on My Computer, click the Performance tab and verify the File System and Virtual Memory are 32-bit.

Click the Virtual Memory button and make sure that Windows is managing the virtual memory. Move your swapfile to a partition with more space, if possible.

If those are OK, try these steps to eliminate unecessary program running:

The things that make the computer slow are the many unecessary items that automatically startup when Windows starts.

Right-click on the icons in the tray area, open each, go through the options to turn off the "tray" or "run at startup" feature.

For the others, go to Start>Run, type msconfig. Leave systray, scan registry, Load Power Profile (both), your virus scanner and firewall if you have one.

Go to Start>Run, type sysedit. Look over the autoexec.bat for unneccessary lines, click the win.ini and check for programs loading here:
[windows]
load=
run=

Open Explorer and navigate to c:\windows\temp and delete all files and folders here. Empty the Recycle Bin.

Right-click on the desktop, make sure Active Desktop is turned off, then click properties and click the Effects tab. turn off Animate windows, menus, and lists.

Close all tray applications and hit Alt_Ctl_Del and end task on all items except for explorer and systray, disable your screensaver, then run scandisk, then defrag.

If you don't know what an entry is or what it does, post back.

reghakr

wow i think your right here is my list and its a long one. yahoo, messenger, explorer, panel, pop3trap, pccguide, supporter5, pccclient, watch, loadwc, directcd, hpcdtray, systray, ptsnoop, pcciomon, rnaapp...... i'm not sure what it all is but that is what is on the list.. thanks for your help

My system does not have msconfig. I verified its absence by executing a find function on the root drive and all sub folders.

Can I get this utility from somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
cyclegeek

msconfig is located in the Win98_23.cab file on the CD.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back