Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

start application on another PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lespaul

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
Here's the situation:

On each floor of the courthouse there are 4 courtrooms; outside of each courtroom is a monitor mounted in the wall.

In the communication closet of each floor are two PCs with dual monitor cards. Each PC runs two of the monitors outside of the courtrooms. There is no monitor, mouse or keyboard attached to these PCs, all access is done remotely (currently through LanDesk).

I have a program called "Display Docket" which displays each courtrooms' docket (court calendar) on the monitor outside the courtroom. Each courtroom has a folder on the network drive where the "Display Docket" application lives and an ini file with the parameters for that courtroom.

Is it possible to write a Delphi application that I can have on my machine that will run the Display Docket program on the remote PC?

I am working on developing a small utility application to allow the users access to the Display Docket program and modify the scrolling caption or change the search criteria and hopefully the ability to stop and restart the program if needed.

Thanks for any info!

les

Thanks! I'll check those out!

les

So I looked at those, but they are both remote control programs. I want to be able to do something like from my utility program send a command line to the PC that needs to run the program.

So, I am working on a network PC named INFTCH03. I am running a program on my desktop that is on a network drive (R), the DisplayDocket application is in the same folder on the R drive that I am running the utility. From my PC, I want to send a command to JDADM07 to run the DisplayDocket Program. I don't want the users to have remote control of JDADM07, just start a program running on it.

Thanks!

leslie

Can you set up a listener program that runs on the remote PCs, that executes DisplayDocket when it sees the network signal for it's machine?

You write a little exe that looks for X:\MachineName.txt, and when it sees it, it runs the DisplayDocket. On your PC, whenever you want to run the program, you pick a computername and generate the textfile.

Not very elegant, but it might work.

Brian
"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that divide people into two groups and those that don't. I belong to the second group." - tag line I stole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back