Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

StarOffice / Outlook Mail Alternitive :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince0000

MIS
May 30, 2002
CA
Hi All,

What Mail Alternitive would a user have with StarOffice 6.0 other than Outlook... for doing LAN / WAN Mail checking and Integrated with Exchange if Possible.

I would toss the MS Office suite, but what am I supposed to use with a Calender, Scheduler etc other then Outlook which will be removed if I uninstall the Office Suite.

Thanks alot everyone,
Vince

Vince0000,

I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but I did notice you're looking in on one of the Linux forums also, so I'll ask - how about Ximian Evolution? There's a (non-free) app they describe on their site that allows it to play well with an exchange server.

I haven't really used it, but it looks like the best outlook clone so far.

HTH

Jesuspower1,

Thanks for the input - the fact that there are browsers with builtin email support is something I always overlook. Both Mozilla and Opera have email and newsgroup clients built in. If Vince0000's scheduling requirements aren't to heavy, then using the Outlook Web Access support built into Exchange Server 2000 will allow him to access most of the features an outlook user will be accessible.

HTH

mahasamatman

Thanks for your reply guys... What I was looking for was a solution to use staroffice 6.0 as the office suite, but a mail client that was capable of recieving LAN and WAN mail that also provided a schuedule / task list similar to Office 2000 so if I uninstalled the MS suite I would still be able to offer the same service.

Thanks,
Vince

ooo! then use eudora. I think it has what you want. It's Ad- Based though.
You can use mozilla but the calender feature is a seperate add-on that is in beta.
You can also go to
and do a search for it there. They will have every thing that you need.
Do a search for pegasuas and see how you like it. -God Bless

Let's nail down your needs a little more specificly - are you using this on an exchange server, and what OS are you using?

mahasamatman

If I found a good solution this is what I have Planned

1. On a WAN I have a Exchange Server that would be forwarding Mail to my LAN Linux Box running Sendmail that would intern pass it off to the Local workstation running Windows 98 / XP...

2. On those Windows 98 / Windows XP machines I am looking for a comparable Email Client (Eduro, Mozilla etc you suggested so far) to install on there workstations to recieve the mail sent to them from the LAN Linux Server, I need them to have a Mail Program, Calender, and a Task program all in one similar to Outlook 98, or Outlook 2002 for example...

*** I think StarOffice would have been a perfect candidate but since they dropped the mail / scedule side of things I no longer am convinced that it could replace a Office XP suite for example without creating / having confusion with the workstation users, and not having a comparable setup...

BTW - Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far, I find users in Forum's such as this are the people to be talking too... Hat's of to ya!

Vince

P.S. If you understand the setup and have a different suggestion other than passing mail from a Exchange Server to a LAN Linux Server with Sendmail (As I'm grinding through some manual's now to try get it running {smile}) just let me know...

Vince0000,

At this point, it looks to me like there are two pertinent issues. The first is that you want a client for all of outlooks features, not just email. The second is that you need the client to run on Windows. I have been looking for something like that for a long time.

The only thing I've found that fits the bill runs on Linux. It's Evolution from Ximian. It (with an additional piece of software) can function as a full featured replacement for Outlook, and CAN use an exchange server to track all of the things you would do with Outlook.

The other option you may have is to use exchange server 2000's built in HTML interface - the only piece of software you need is a web browser. You can track scheduling, contacts, etc. as well as do the email stuff. By default, OWA (as it's called) is enabled when the server is set up.

I designed a course and wrote the courseware for a multi-state bank moving to using that as their only client for Outlook type stuff. I didn't configure the server, if you have much to ask about that, I'd need help answering your questions, but if you have questions about the capabilities of OWA itself, I should be able to give you good answers.

mahasamatman

Thanks guys... I've begun to realize that as envolved as our users are with outlook at this point it may be wise to continue to use Microsoft's Office Suite and pay Bill Gates his money supply... I'm looking forward for the day that there is a little more competitve alternitives other than MS software at those kind of prices.

Thanks for your help and time to both you you...

Vince

Hi Vince,

If you want to get the mailing software to be free, then you have only one option left.

You can have StarOffice 5.2 and 6.0 installations parallely.

To be more precise, you can make a custom installation in StarOffice 5.2. You can install StarMail and Star Schedule in StarOffice 5.2 and also can do a complete installation of StarOffice 6.0.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Asteroid.

Thanks Asteriod...

I was just in the process of seing if that would work also.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back