Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmoss26

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
Hello all-
I am currently working on a residential job. What do you guys recommend for securing the bundles of cable to the studs before they enter the box (and all along the run for that matter)? I tried romex staples but they are not big enough.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

jeff moss

When I do a new house I use a product from 3M called stack it ,they are a plastic wire holder designed to route,romax in the walls ,they have four fingers ,the fingered ends have a sort of flange to keep the cables in ,their is no pressure on the coax or comm, cables.I place them by nailing them on the roof trusses above everything in the attic ,usually six ft, or more ,I establish a trunk line and then branch off. I usually locate an MDF in the wall of the garage between the studs which are 16 inches on center,if it is on an inerior wall i cut a peice of 1/2 inch plywood 16x16 or whatever the opening demands,the builder simply has the finish man install a door,over it for access,all of my runs are homeruns,and are properly labled at the jack,and MDF, This results in a homemade structered cable system. I do not staple anything ,I roll up the prewire excess so they remain in place ,as for the insulaters thry like it better unstapled so their bats can be stapled in without worrying about stapling acable,and it makes it a lot easier when having to add new cables,builders here will not spend the money on a spec house to satisfy the needs of a consumer.Speaking of that their knowledge of proper cabling is CAT 5 is all it takes,no matter how it is installed,I see over and over again cat 5 installed and routed just like the romax,stapled to the top side of the ceiling rafters paralel with electrical ,but in their minds because it is cat5 thats all it takes ,when they see one of my jobs roughed in,they use it as a selling point for their houses,and understand better.

My NEC 2002 doesn't have a section 800.6, guess I got ripped off. Best as I can remember it is 1.25" of wood you need on either side of the hole.

Lots of ways to accomplish the task, and lots of good ideas. I've done houses with a set of 1/2" to 2" bits trying to step the sizes up to anticipate the next run, etc. I've also just handed the hawg to the apprentice and said run me enough holes for this wire. Either way, it gets done sucessfully.

If you drill too big a hole, you may have to nailplate. Is it cheaper time wise to drill a 2" hole for a main run and nail plate it than drilling a bunch of 1" holes? Could be.

I've used the stackits as well, there is also a low voltage version for cat5 and rg6 cables, it all works.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

That's what I was looking for, the stackit clips, I forgot what they were called. I will look at Home Depot.

jeff moss

I forgot to mention that I also run (2) 3/4 inch flex ducts out for the cable and coax main service into the attic for future replacement or additions.And I don't understand why you wouldn't drill the top plates straight up to the attic ,the only parralel I run is under a window or bar, even if it is a two story house.

Ahhh, you assume there is always an attic, it just aint so. If it is a nice pitch on the roof and an attic, I'm with you, a row of D rings or drive rings through the trusses or on the joists and we're pulling cable like crazy.

However, if the choice is drilling through TGI beams 10' off the ground or a horizontal run down a wall 3' off the ground, I'm much faster at 3' and don't need to be up and down a ladder.

It really does depend a lot on the construction of the building.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

In our part of the world ,99.9% of the new homes have attics,so that is not an assumption,and i walk the rafters to pull the cable,I try to be mindful of proper installation in a home as in a business,And I know I will get an OSHA come back ,but that is the way I do it.Even flat roofs I would drill to properly support the cables if that were the only alternative,but in our area it is not an issue because of all the problems with flat roofs,They do not build them that way on the Texas Gulf Coast.And I would be willing to bet 99% of all new homes across the country have attics,the trend here now is enormous radically pitched roofs.

I drive 1/2" romex staples inline with the cable bundle and use a zip tie to attach the bundle. Cheap, strong, fast and keeps the hammer away from the cables.

My NEC has a 800-6 requiring "neat and workmanlike" and "not damaged by normal building use" for Communications Systems but no measurements. 300-4(a)(1) is the reference for Bored Holes, "not less than 1.25" from the nearest edge of the wood member".

I never drill a hole smaller than 3/4". The 1.5" and 3" get a workout too.

Which NEC are you looking at? My 2002 NEC ends at 800.53, and goes directly to 810.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Hmm, not much of a way out of that one for me. :)

Guess I was thinking 800.5.3 or something, thanks for clearing that up, guess I should spend more time with the book!

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

When I get older I'll be able to call it a senior moment, at this point, I guess a brain fart is more appropriate. Thanks for your patience.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back