Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta22

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
Please fogive me if this is in the wrong forum. I am using Win2000 PRO at work and on a massive network. When clicking on a link to my companies intranet site, I land up going to NOT where I should be going. This also happens when typing the addy in the address bar. If I type in /hr (human resources or other department) it works fine. Seems that I just cannot go to the root. I hope I explained this correctly.

At the bottom of the browser it shows the correct address when the mouse is on the link that it SHOULD be going to but doesnt. It only happens on one particular PC. The techies here have checked for viruses, trojans etc. Nothing found. There are mulitple profiles on the machine. I am using IE6 with all patches and fixes installed.

Also, if I use the link it goes elsewhere, but if I use the IP address instead. it works fine. Any suggestions? (I love teaching the techies a thing or two after they give up.) Many thanks in advance!!

Spunds like u might be infected with something like qhosts that has changed your setup causing names to not resolve right. Also might want to check your hosts files for entries that shouldnt be there.

While I was working last night, I had the Techs check out the qhosts. They installed that file from Symantic and didnt find anything.

Well I figured it out. I did a search for shopnav and I found out this was caused by a "search hijacker" (new one on me) I followed the directions and everything is fine now. Thanks for your help Faithless. It's appreciated. For futre reference I am including this site for parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back