Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standby server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyyunus

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2006
US
Hi All,

I have a running Domino 6.x server. I want to provide some fault taulerence to this server by adding one standby server so that in the event of crash of main server i can poweron the standy server and configure some people to use it by modifying the location document. All the NSF files etc i want to replicate to this server in the midnight. I want to use a different server name in the standby server.

Is this possible? If yes, what steps i need to take.

I am very new to Domino family of products and currently getting conversant with it, So i would need step-by-step procedure to achieve this task.

Hoping that all you guy's who might me expert in Domino can help me in getting some tech article/suggestions that will help me.

Thanks

-------
Yunus

Take a look at lotus domino application cluster.
You need twice the disk space, but you won't need to reconfigure your clients, domino will do that.
Also you can set the new server in a state so the only if the other is not availble, clients will connect to the other server in the appliacation cluster.

You need 2 Domino enterprise servers, and as I said disk space enough to keep all databases twice, but the cluster will keep all db's up to date all the time...
also one node can be linux while the other is a windows server..

Hi,

Existing server is configured with RAID-5 with 420 GB space. I will not be able to do clustering.

Is there any other way of doing it. I dont mind even if the procedure is complex, some sort of backup is required.

If not can i atleast use some HTTP client to backup the NSF files from the existing mail server to any other server.

Also can i import the settings of Domino server to another server so that it has all the values that is set in the main server with some changes like name of the server, ip etc.

Thanks

-------
Yunus

then you need an os cluster. but that wont give you file redundance.

but microsoft cluster can give you what you need. Just remember you need fairly identical hardware.

And if you can't do that either, you're in a bad spot.

either way, the two servers needs to be able to access the RAID. Even when one is down.

Out of curiousity, why cannot you do clustering?

Domino clustering does support different hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back