Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standards and Certs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet042

MIS
Dec 23, 2002
US
Compared to most of the posters in this forum, I'm pretty new to cabling having only done it for a few years. But, I'm the most experienced where I work and I really want to make sure that when I do runs, I get them right. With that in mind, what kind of standards or documents should I be looking at? I know that the EIA/TIA 586B document covers networking cable and that the NEC has a section about running telecom, but what else should I be reading?

Also, I know that there are a lot of certifications available from Cisco and BICSI. What ones should I be looking to get down the road to prove that I know what I'm doing?

I would first start with the manufacture of the cabling and jacks for what you have installed. Get all the cut sheets from them and ask about local training. If you’re in a highly populated area say Detroit (the suburbs not the city) check with the distributors or supply houses like GrayBar, Diversified, etc. to see if they offer in house training or certifications. Many manufactures offer free training at seminars and open houses there. If not get on their web site and see where there are going to be.

You mentioned networking and telecom, I suggest you don’t separate them cable is cable. It is a transportation of information whether its voice or data. Make the cabling universal so you can use it for either voice or data. If you need to customize the pin out or configuration do it with adapters or custom patch cables. Become one with the crimp tool and pin configurations such as cross over cables for networking, cross over for PRI/T-1, two data on one cable or voice and data on one cable but two connectors (a poor mans VoIP known as Voice with IP).

To self learn, I would purchase the BISCI TDDM Book. Make that you’re Bible on cabling design and source of reference. BICSI offers installation certifications and RCDD. To get to the RCDD level you need the TDDM tattooed to the inside of your forehead to see it at all time to pass the test.

And most important, stay in touch with us here on Tek-Tips and you’ll never go wrong.

Thanks, Gerry. I'm already very familiar with the pinouts, though I haven't worked with PRI/T-1 crossovers. I'll definitely look into what the GrayBar in my area has to offer as well as the local company we usually get our cable from.

BISCI also sells the ITSIM. Does it cover any different information than than the TDDM, or is the TDDM the main book and all the others take portions from it?

TDDM is the main book. The others apply specialize such as the ITS.

Your building codes division will also have a say in what is 'right' make sure you follow local building codes.

The answer is "42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back