Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

standardising shares 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamapollo

MIS
Aug 22, 2001
AU
I am managing the computers of a company where everyone has there own set shares, but when they go to another computer they have to individually remap their shares and same with new users. I know how to map shares with a logon script and active directory so what I need to do is unmap all their manual shares first so that there is not a clash and I can standardise the shares.

So what I am asking is what do I put in the script before mapping shares that will find all their current mapping and remove them? Would this work or would the manually mapped ones occur after the script runs?

Michael

Not sure of the order of events there - I'd set up test user situation and try it out.

It never ceases to amaze me as to the knowledge on this site. Here's a star for you wolluf. iamappolo, if you don't have a dummy account set up yet, make it the next thing you do. Give it just simple rites, like a regular user. Use it to test anything new you want to try out. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900); Anglo-Irish playwright.

If you already know which drives and paths you wish to map to, why not begin your logon script with the
net use /delete drivename:
eg net use /delete x:
command

After you complete unmapping the required drives, now let your login script map the drive names to whatever you wish.

Obviously having a test account would help seeing if this works.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Would the net use delete command have any adverse effects if the mapped drives do not exist?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

There shouldn't be any adverse affects. If the drive does not exist, the command is skipped. In fact, I begin my logon scripts with the command to remove ALL mapped drives:

net use * /delete /Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back